What's new

Red screen trailers? (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
I was watching a VHS(please forgive me!:D) copy of CUBE at my friend's house, and I noticed that the trailers before the movie all had a red screen at the beginning instead of green. Does this have any special significance? I've never seen this type of trailer before.
Thanks,
Kyle

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Notice how the "green screen" trailers always say "The following preview has been approved for ALL AUDIENCES by the Motion Picture Association of America"?

Well, the "red screen" trailers have NOT been approved for all audiences. The red screen is used when the trailer itself contains material inappropriate for the young'uns. I don't remember the exact wording, but they have an "approved for mature audiences only" sort of message.

Red trailers are pretty rarely used, which is why you've never seen one before. I've seen a few on DVD and VHS, but never in the theater. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever saw one was on the "CUBE" VHS tape, too!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've seem them in the theater from time to time, but only attached to R-rated films.

M.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
This reminds me of a related question I've been meaning to ask for some time.
I go to the movies rather frequently (my girlfriend works at the theater so we get in free :) ) and I've noticed that I haven't seen one of the green screens before a trailer in several months. Have they stopped using them? Is my local theater editing them out? (There's really only one theater I ever attend locally, so I don't know if it's the same elsewhere)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember the exact wording, but they have an "approved for mature audiences only" sort of message.
The red band trailers have the same wording as the green band trailers with a minor word substituted: "The following preview has been approved for RESTRICTED AUDIENCES by the Motion Picture Association of America"

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"I've noticed that I haven't seen one of the green screens before a trailer in several months. Have they stopped using them? Is my local theater editing them out?"

The theater is obviously cutting the "green band" off of the trailers. It's a common practice that is done by most theaters (in the many US theaters I've been to, and especially here, since the MPAA doesn't exist up here).

Jason

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The only red screen trailer I've seen was for 8MM. Other than that, I expect they're quite rare.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they're fairly unusual, so when a red band trailer is included on a DVD I always make mention of the fact in my reviews at Digitally Obsessed.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
More often than not, I've found that red band trailers contain nudity and, to a lesser degree, profanity. The bulk of those that I've noticed have been for arthouse films, with a large percentage being gay-oriented films, such as Trick.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Theatres can get in trouble for cutting the green bands off- I worked at a theatre where it was "company policy" to do this, against my objections, and they were told to stop doing it. Cutting them off looks terrible since the sound usually starts right away.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
The original "Not Another Teen Movie" internet trailer was rated R for obvious reasons. :) Hilarious stuff!

KyleK

Second Unit
Is there a web page that has just red band trailers? I don't recall ever seeing them on the Apple Trailers page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks