What's new

RED RIVER & Criterion CONFIRMED? (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Make of this what you will, but last night at Film Forum, I overheard a FF regular, who consults for Criterion, report to his seat mate that the Criterion folks told him (earlier that afternoon) that they have secured rights to RED RIVER. Because of the relatively tight-knit nature of the New York film industry community and the connection between Criterion and Film Forum, I tend to think this is legit.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /forum/thread/300327/red-river-criterion-confirmed#post_3687613
Fair enough.
I'm excited by your post, but we need to hear more before I would call it confirmed. Hopefully, it will join Stagecoach and be released on Blu-ray from Criterion.
Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Way back in November, I asked on their Facebook page: "I see that among a number of MGM/UA titles that have just gone OOP is Hawks' Red River; now, tell me that you've picked this up."
Their reply was a rather teasing: "Could be..."
I'll take this as another very positive indication. Great news.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's long been rumored as one of the MGM titles they licensed. The Fugitive Kind is the first one officially announced/released. Other rumored MGM titles licensed are:

Paths of Glory
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
The Misfits
Night of the Hunter

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
It's long been rumored as one of the MGM titles they licensed. The Fugitive Kind is the first one officially announced/released. Other rumored MGM titles licensed are:
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
The Misfits
Night of the Hunter
talk about great additions i have been hoping something would be happening to Kubrick's first masterpiece

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I posted the following in the Criterion thread in the Blu-Ray section, but in case some of you do not visit that area I'll post it here:

Here is the list of "confirmed" MGM titles that I got from one of the Criterion forums (I can't find the post anymore, so I don't know if they were asked to take it down or if some of it is wrong, but I present it here for entertainment purposes only)

1. FUGITIVE KIND (Sidney Lumet) [already announced, due out at the end of the month]
2. PATHS OF GLORY (Stanley Kubrick)
3. THE KILLING (Stanley Kubrick)
4. KILLER'S KISS (Stanley Kubrick)
5. CUL DE SAC (Roman Polanski) There are rights issues that need to be sorted out before this film can be released.
6. LOVE STREAMS (John Cassavettes) There are rights issues that need to be sorted out before this film can be released
7. PARK ROW (Samuel Fuller)
8. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (Alexander McKendrick)
9. RED RIVER (Howard Hawks)
10. KISS ME DEADLY (Robert Aldrich)
11. SATYRICON (Federico Fellini)
12. BURN (Gilo Portocovo)
13. KES (Ken Loach)
14. FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN (Karel Reiscz)
15. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Charles Laughton)
16. SOMETHING WILD (Jonathan Demme)
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. ???
23. ???
24. ???

IanUngstad

Grip
Sorry to break the news to you but...

I wrote that list and posted it on the .com forums. It's not confirmed at all and most of those are based off evasive comments Criterion made on Facebook an the thread on the .org forum. I deleted that list off the site because I was worried people who read it were going to take it as a confirmation when it's more like educated speculation,

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I see that Red River was released on Blu-ray in the U.K. last week. It is region locked, but I have a region-free Blu-ray player so I may get it since we have heard nothing about a release in the U.S.

Red River Blu-ray

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard Gallagher said:
I see that Red River was released on Blu-ray in the U.K. last week. It is region locked, but I have a region-free Blu-ray player so I may get it since we have heard nothing about a release in the U.S.

Red River Blu-ray
Rich,

I got that BD last week and watched it immediately. It's not up to something Warner or Criterion might release on BD, but it's good enough for me at that price point. It will hold me over until a better BD release comes along. As you stated it's Region B locked.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Thanks, Crawdaddy. This thread started 3 1/2 years ago and still no sign of it from Criterion or anyone else. $22 including shipping isn't bad, so I'm going to go ahead and order it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You guys make me jealous that I'm not region-free. Red River is one of my absolute favorite Westerns.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark-P said:
You guys make me jealous that I'm not region-free. Red River is one of my absolute favorite Westerns.
No need for jealousy. Region-free Blu-ray players are cheap and easy to acquire.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Red River recently went OOP in the U.S. (it was on a Fox multipack). Given how many copies of Stagecoach Criterion sold, I woudl think that they would really want to release it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Robert Crawford said:
I got that BD last week and watched it immediately. It's not up to something Warner or Criterion might release on BD, but it's good enough for me at that price point. It will hold me over until a better BD release comes along. As you stated it's Region B locked.
It arrived on Monday. I popped it in my region-free BD player to check it out and immediately got sucked in. As you say, it is not perfect but it will do until we get a better release. It needs a bit of clean up in regard to reel markings, but for the most part it is in pretty good shape. The 56-page booklet is pretty good, too.

If they ever get around to doing a Region 1 release I hope they are able to give us both versions. Many years ago I saw the voiceover version on one of the movie channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks