What's new

Red retrace lines (1 Viewer)

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32" 4:3 aspect ratio CRT Toshiba Cinema Series television that I've owned since 1995, purchased brand new at the time.. I've calibrated it by utilizing the Avia disc and have been very impressed with its picture even though its not HDTV. Question is...what would cause the display of red retrace lines on the screen? They run horizontal and range from about 1/2" to 1" apart from each other and encompass the whole screen. Is this a problem that can be fixed at home or does it require a more elaborate service approach? Thanks for your advice.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I think it is time for a new TV. It appears that component aging has caused the red gun not to shut off completely during the retrace interval (scan lines 481 through 525).

This probably needs a serviceman to fix, and the cost may not be worth it. You will have to make the decision.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply...it confirmed my fears. Now I'll have to work on convincing the wife to agree with the purchase of a new one.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Dan.

It most likely a voltage issue. Was this sudden occurance?

If this has been a gradual thing, first try adjusting your gray scale by turning down the Rcut control. Your voltage may just be too high, though the RCUT may not give you enough adjustment latitude.

Best of luck

Gregg

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg, Its been a gradual occurrance and now that it's the first thing that I see upon powering up, it's very difficult to imagine the red lines not being present. I'll have to contact a local service technician to remedy the problem. Though I currently own a 65" diagonal HDTV monitor, I just can't seem to throw this standard definition out to the curb side for garbage pick up just yet. As I've previously mentioned, the results of this calibrated picture is still very impressive even compared to todays high definition capabilities. (Not the same by any means but surely appreciated by those who see it). Thank you very much for your reply and advice. Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks