1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Red Push, questions from a “newbie”

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hinson, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson Stunt Coordinator

Dan Hinson
    O.K. My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a Mitsubishi later this year (perhaps early 2003) and after reading all kinds of information about Red Push, I am still somewhat confused.

Do I understand correctly that multiple attenuators must be used to eliminate red push on separate inputs? What about eliminating red push if you are using an internal tuner?

What exactly is an I2C fix, and what does it entail?

I am a musician with some studio experience in MIDI and digital audio. Therefore, I have a certain amount of “technical expertise.” That being said, would someone like myself be capable of calibrating my own set and/or eliminating red push in the service menu (assuming I purchase a model that has this as an option)?

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Dan,

2002 and later mitsubishi models with an integrated HD tuner don't require an I2C device or attentuators. Just service menu adjustments. The 2003 models even have color decoder options in the regular menu.

If we're talking about a 2002 and earlier model WITHOUT HD tuner then an I2C cable and computer can dial-in color decoder parameters to perfection as well as completely eliminate and edge enhancement that all TVs employ.

So, the methods vary depending on model number and year.

3. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

The reply above was absolutely correct. However, you had also asked someone to define the I2C procedure.

One some models, the color decoders are not accessible from the service menus at all (as mentioned).

However, they are stored on the EEPROMs of the set -- similar to how certain things are stored in your ROM (Read Only Memory) or the BIOS or the CMOS settings, on your own computer...

So, someone devised a way of taking any regular Windows based computer and hooking it up to the TV using a special adapter cable. Then, one can "read" those settings from the TV into a computer file, make a backup copy of this file (in case something goes wrong). Then, one can make a change or three to some numbers to fix the red push, and possibly edge enhancement, and "write" the new revised settings back onto the TV.

That, in a nutshell, is the I2C fix. Materials required:
    - 1 bizarre cable which some make themselves, but there are some private imdividuals who make and then sell them regularly.

- 1 Windows based PC, can be desktop or laptop, just so you can get it close to the TV set for an hour or so.

- Software, which is available for free over the Internet.

- Instructions, also available for free over the Internet.

- A willingness to risk your warranty, and potential expensive disaster if something were to go wrong.

- Caution.

That's it.

-Bruce