Red on Toshiba TV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yan_P, May 18, 2001.

1. Yan_P

Yan_P Auditioning

I went to a shop and talked a little with the salesman and he says Toshiba has a real problem with red. Every Toshiba TV has a real pink tint rather than a nice red... I looked at a 32A60 in store and from what I saw it's kinda true... any input on this?

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Some of the effect you're seeing is the fact that the rest of the tvs around you suffer from red push. my Toshiba 27A40 didn't suffer from any over emphasis of either green, red or blue. I did have a green tint in the lower end of the grayscale but that is a separate issue. Pinkish hues for faces, etc. is actually more natural I think than the usual sunburn look that other tvs have. I also have a Sharp tv that suffers from 20-25 percent red push and now that I've been looking at my Toshiba for a few months, the red push on the Sharp is quite annoying. But as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    good luck.

3. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I recently got a 32A60 and I couldn't be happier(short of the set being ISF'd). Thomas is right about the color decoder being quite good. My only complaint is that black level varies depending on picture content(set with the 50IRE black/gray test on AVIA for a reasonable compromise)...
    ------------------
    "You mean we're all gonna die because you screwed up on the math?"
    DVD Count: 98 / LD Count: 51
    Latest Acquisitions: Robocop(Criterion).

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Andy, I rechecked my black level setting on my Toshiba 27A40 recently and it suffers the same problem/feature. I have it set using the black/grey test pattern. If I bring up the black/black pattern, I need to go down 6 clicks to set it or the equivalent of one notch on the menu screen. Not too bad so I assume that this means that blacks in darker scenes are fairly close. For the black/white pattern though, I have to go up 12 clicks or the equivalent of 2 notches on the menu screen. I assume this means that darker areas in bright scenes are perhaps too dark.
    cheers,
    --tom

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Red was a real problem on the X81 series - pushed 20-25% consistently when calibrated. The new ones hover around +/-5%. Much better.
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

6. Yan_P

Yan_P Auditioning

But he also said that they will get on sale (liquidation for newer models) soon so I'll get an eye on 'em... thanks [​IMG]

7. michael deakin

michael deakin Stunt Coordinator

Michael Charles Deakin
    Hi guys.
    In a similar vein, I have too much blue which you can see at the extreme edges of the screen. And no matter what I do with the convergence, I cant seem to get rid of it.Any suggestions. mike [​IMG]