What's new

Red line of Wega after calibration w/ Avia (1 Viewer)

Sean Trask

Grip
Hello - I did see a similar post on this, but I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is the same - so here we go:

I recently bought a Sony Wega KV-32FS13. Today, I calibrated it with Avia.

Now, whenever I change channels, there is a redish (although it is more like a rainbow, I think) bar in the upper 2-4 scan lines on the TV. It is also present during letterboxed TV presentations. It is not present in letterboxed DVDs.

Is this an overscan problem? Do I have a problem? Should I just ignore this? Is it normal?

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Trask

Grip
Ok - let me update w/ a bit more data:

- I used the AVIA disc to lock down the problem.

I used the letterbox geometry tests on AVIA, and I determined that the red line only appears at 30 and 50 IRE. at 100 IRE it is absent. Also, if I adjust the picture/brightness high enough, it goes away. The problem is, if I adjust picture/brightness too high, it will undo all of the calibration I did with Avia.

So, I ask this (along with the above questions), is there a problem with my TV - or am I just being over-critical? If this isn't a defect, or shortening the life of my TV, I can deal with it.

If there is a way to fix it, I would prefer that.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
On many TV sets the actual overscan increases as the overall brightness increases, this may cause ragged or discolored edges to come into view during dimmer scenes. You would have to choose a larger overscan setting.
The discoloration can also happen at the top if the source material uses scan lines 4 through 483 instead of 1 through 480, which sometimes happens.
Don't increase the contrast to hide the red line, that will shorten the life of the TV. Instead you really should set the contrast somewhat below what AVIA suggests, and then set overscan and complete the other calibrations.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sean Trask

Grip
Allan,

Thanks for the info. So, I should just deal with it - since it really isn't all that bad, anyway - I was just trying to see if my TV was defective at all.

Thanks,
Sean

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like an underscanning issue to me. Weird. How new is the set? Any chance you can repeat the experiment on another unit? When spending that kind of money, I want as close to perfection as I can get.

Sean Trask

Grip
It is about a week and 1/2 old. I know I could return it - but that is a huge hassle. Although, if someone thinks it is the right thing to do, I will probably do it.

I can try to repeat it at the store - I don't know another person with this set.

I could also have Sony come out and look at the set.

Is there any other data I can give add to this thread - that would help diagnose the true problem here?

It seems that Wegas have problems - and this one is fairly minor, I feel I may be better of just accepting it. Of course, my fear is that it is a symptom of another problem.

Sean Trask

Grip
Jack/Allen - I think you are dead on with the underscanning theory.

I just put in a Gamecube game, which does not overscan at all - in fact, it underscans. There are slight jagged edges on the right and left of the TV, which go away when I play with the brightness (just like Allen said).

Now - the real question, is the only way to change the underscan in the service menu (something I am frightened of doing)? Thanks again for all of your help.

DeanAB

Auditioning
Sean,

Good to see a familiar name on the forum. You can come over and check out my Wega if you want to compare, but I don't recall seeing the problem that you have mentioned on my set.

Maybe you can lend me your AVIA disk first so I can calibrate/break it before you compare!

- Dean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks