What's new

Red in Black on Hitiachi 51SWX20B - Experts Please Help!! (1 Viewer)

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all:

I have a problem. When watching dvd's I am getting red in dark scenes. It is really only noticable when the screen fades to black. The red haze does not appear in all areas of the screen and is fairly faint but noticable. It actually appears to be an afterimage. The red haze outlines certain areas of the picture that was on before the screen faded to black. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is something wrong with my set? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
IVe seen that kind of thing with my Samsung RPTV, not with red in the black, but I think it's maybe kind of greenish where images were before the fade to black. It seems to go away in a few seconds, though.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sounds like a grayscale problem with a red tint in the dark area. REduction of the rcut might help ... along with a boost to the brightness slightly.

ISF menu area stuff.

or get a professional grayscale calibration.

regards

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
MichaelTLV:

What do you make of the afterimage? I can understand the rcuts if it was just a uniformly reddish black, but the red haze seems to outline and fill in certain areas of the screen associated with a previous image. any additional thoughts?

Do you think this might go away in time? Should I call in a tech (Sears)? The TV was purchased in late April of this, so it might not be fully broken in.

Thanks for your help!

John

Charles C

Auditioning
Please forgive the bump in this thread 6 months later, but this was the closest post I could find to my particular problem. I want to make sure there's nothing I can do about it before getting a full ISF calibration. To wit:

I have a Hitachi 65XWX20B RPTV, and have calibrated it using the Avia disk. Starting yesterday, I noticed when changing channels off the HD antenna, the momentary black screen between channels has a uniform red tint to it. The picture itself looks fine enough, but I do notice (conciously or unconciously) a reddish tint to the dark areas. So it's now officially driving me crazy.

I double checked with the "full black screen" window test on Avia and sure enough, reddish black.

The interesting thing is that when I change inputs from, say, Antenna C (HD) to Cable, the momentary black screen is truly black. I'm guessing the guns are "off" vs. outputting black.

Anyway, just wanted a second opionion before I drop the dough.

Thanks.

Charles

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Charles C:

That's defiantley just your grayscale being too red. In the mean time, look for the grayscale temperature setting on your TV and see if one of them looks more accurate.

Beyond that, just get it calibrated, and you'll be all set!

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I agree with Bill- your grayscale needs adjustment. The reason it goes reddish black between HD channels is that it's still getting the sync signal, and the black level is somewhere slightly ablove true black (your brightness might be set a smidgen too high for that input). So, when it's changing channels, it's still displaying the "black" (actually reddish black) background. However, when you change inputs on the TV, the entire signal, sync and all, is momentarily interrupted.

Charles C

Auditioning
Thanks to both you guys for your input. I'm definitely getting it calibrated, then. But something Chad said about brightness struck me, and I thought that tonight's HD broadcast of Law & Order: SVU looked kinda washed out. So I pulled out the Avia disk and went to the "black bars and 1/2 gray" and bingo - way too bright. Both black bars were quite visible. I adjusted it accordingly and it looks much better. I was so focused on the color that I really hadn't thought about brightess.

I've recently had the green CRT replaced (still under warranty, thankfully), and haven't re-calibrated it (w/ Avia) since then. I guess things had burned in on all three CRT's since that time, adjusting the picture gradually over the past two months.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, gentlemen. I can't wait to get an ISF calibration to see what this baby can really do.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks