red/green/blue cut and push??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Demaree, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I received the maintenance manual for my TV (kv36-fv26). Between the AVIA dvd and the manual, I have a pretty good idea about red/green/blue push. I am not sure what the red/green/blue cut do, though. Anyone know, or have a link, to information about this?
    Thanks

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The red/green/blue cuts and drives have nothing to do with red (or whatever) push. They are for gray scale balancing. The cuts adjust the colour of gray at low levels (low contrast) and the drives adjust the high end. Eyeballing an accurate gray scale is virtually impossible, so it's best to adjust these only when using a colour analyser.
    (sorry for the mixed American and Canadian spellings!)
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

4. Chris Demaree

Thanks, I'll leave the cuts alone, and mess with the drv [​IMG]

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Chris, John was right on about the cut and drive controls being used for grayscale adjustment ONLY. They do not come into play for correcting red push or any other color decoder anomaly. Playing with the DRV controls will alter the grayscale of your display. Do so only if that is your intent.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

6. Chris Demaree

Oops, looks like I was getting push mixed with with drv. Greyscale was not my intent, just wanted to bring the red/green/blue levels as close as possible to what the AVIA tests ask. On the AVIA color tests, using the 3 filters they provide, my red is high (25%), green is just about right and blue is a bit low (-15 to 20%). Looks like a lot more research is in order. Thanks for the warning!

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to TV Forum.
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."