What's new

Red Glow while watching DVD (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hello all-

I have a Hitachi 53SDX01B (not widescreen) that i bought 2 years ago and I noticed that whenver i watch a DVD (Wide Screen with the black bars) I can see a slight hint of a pulsating glowing reddish/dark brown eminating from the screen (this is the best way i can describe it). Its almost like a mist of some kind although its not VERY noticable, I can see it. Do I need to get the repairman for this or is this just an easy settings fix?

Thanks

Angelo

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1. The red gain may be too high, possible having drifted there due to aging of the components. Try turning the contrast way down (perhaps 10 percent on the scale) and turning the brighness way up, all the while watching a letterboxed movie. If the dark bars above and below start to glow red, then this may be the case. If the picture itself is abnormally red, you could probably make adjustments in the service menu or adjustments to pots inside the rear cover. Also try lowering the brightness control.
2. One of the scan lines 484-525 is drawn as red and just off the screen due to overscan. Extra red light is then reflecting off surfaces inside the TV cabinet. If you are able to open up a hatch in the rear of the set and see the CRT's in action you might see this red line. There may be an electronic matting control in the service menu to make sure the electron beam is shut off during the drawing of that scan line.
Actually I would probably leave the set alone and not worry about it.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Allen-

Thank you very much for the info. I will try and adjust the contrast and brightness to rid of this annoying glow. Also, thanks for the wonderfull and VERY informative link about video sources..I really appreciate it. In fact I recommend EVERYONE to read thru it as it can really make you understand how Video Works.

Thanks Again Allan-

Angelo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks