Red Glare

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dirk Grace, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

I am getting a lot of red glare around the edge of lighter colored objects (especially white lettering) on my 20" Sony Trinitron. Any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dirk[​IMG]

2. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

Hmmm.....

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

This is a familiar complaint with Sony Wegas. What Picture mode and Temp do you usually use? Try lowering Contrast with a user setting.

Also do a search here and maybe the AVSforum on pink streaking.

4. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

Contrast 100%, Sharpness 0, everything else is factory default. The set started doing this about 2 months ago. Don't know if it is related, but I also switched to Dish TV about that time. A friend suggested that I check the tube for a build-up of dust, and clean everything inside with a can of electronics cleaner.
    Good input. Thank you Paul.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

First off, take that contrast way down from 100% [​IMG]

Get yourself either the AVIA test disc or Video Essentials (or rent them from Netflix or something) and calibrate your contrast, brightness, color and tint correctly. See if that helps. Having run it at 100% contrast for all this time can't have been good for the set though...

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Dirk,

100% contrast is Torch Mode. Agree with Carlo, you need to buy a disc like AVIA and calibrate...not only for the good of the set and your own eyes but so you can learn about general video rules and why they exist.

A generalization: most factory presets are useless in the real world. Calibrating your set will leave you with a custom setting more appropriate for critical viewing. Set VSM to low or preferably off. Keep Sharpness down depending of course on source quality. Reducing Contrast in successive stages in the meantime will help you adjust and should aid with the reddish outline.

7. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

Great advice. Thanks to all.