What's new

Red Dwarf Series 5 cover art (1 Viewer)

Daniel Calleja

Auditioning
I've just stumbled across the British cover art for Red Dwarf Series 5. The US versions are normally a little different but I hope they keep the "High Lister" and "High Rimmer" on the cover.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Looks good. I assume They'll release Season 5 and 6 together in R1, as in the past. I saw some pictures on a web site a few months back of the cast doing some extra material for Season 5 and 6. What ever happening to their movie?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
According to the IMDB it's in production and is due for release next year.

Be warned that according to the IMDB it contains Chloe Annett (who played Kochanski in the later series). Nothing at all against Ms Annett, but it looks like the movie is a continuation of the mediocre last series rather than classic Dwarf.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I'm suprised it took so long(the movie). The actors must all be getting on in age a bit. I could do without Kochanski as a regular. The 4 main characters from the middle seasons works best. I watched a bit of season 8 last week and Captain Holister has 3 times as many lines as the Cat.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I would take the IMDB info with a grain of salt. From what I've been able to gather (from reddwarf.co.uk and Robert Llewellyn's own website, llew.co.uk), the movie is not in production, but rather, in production Hell!

To wuote Llewellyn: "Obviously, when we all get together, the subject of the movie is never far from our lips. Will we ever make it, where will we make it, what will it be like. We simply still don't know and obviously, it's very frustrating."

My guess is that they don't have enough financial backing, perhaps, especially, in the all-important American market. I do remember reading once that US companies interested in backing the picture wanted to re-cast the lead roles with famous American actors, but as a compromise, the production team proposed having Americans playing the "bad guys".

Apart from some rehearsals, storyboards, make-up tests, etc. the movie has stalled. It is not in production. If it were, Robert would be talking about it already.

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Nice find, Daniel!

I like it.

About the movie. The movie has been on-again off-again over the last 5 years or so, and I'm afraid it's never gonna happen. Not that I need a Red Dwarf movie. But it is the only thing keeping them from making another tv series.

But then again, I certainly can live without the lame Kochanski-ness of Season 7 and Season 8.

The whole point of the series was that a slob like Dave Lister is the Last Human alive. Kochanski, also being alive and all, kinda defeats that point. As did having back the whole crew in Season 8.

I hope the sales of Series 7 and 8 really tank compared to the earlier ones. If they're gonna make another Red Dwarf, it'd better not be like that.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
You're right Martin, they got away from the basic premise of the show. Despite being a comedy, there was always a touch of melancholy to the isolation and Lidster's lonliness which made the show great. Suddenly there are people everywhere in Season 8. Even though Lidster and Rimmer are in prison, it's really all like a big joke. They even visit the Captain everyday.

The number of story ideas that you could devise for just 4 guys travelling through time(sometimes) and space is infinite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks