Senior HTF Member
A guy on a mailing list I'm on got this response RE: Red Dwarf
"Red Dwarf" Series One and Two are currently being planned for release on
DVD for August 2002. Please check back on www.BBCAmericaShop.com
periodically. If you wish to sign up for our newsletter, which will keep
you informed of all upcoming releases, please click on the link below:
http://www.clickaction.net/ClickActi...11560&func=S_s
urvey&email=
Thank you for shopping at www.BBCAmericaShop.com.
Yup, right around the time the movie is coming out, as predicted

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I suppose its too much to hope that these are the Original Tril^H^H^H^H Episodes, not those hideously mangled CGI Special Editions they made a few years back? Or do we not have any other information yet on these?

Oh well, I guess that we'll be reduced to choosing between the correct version or a decent picture again.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Was it just the first three seasons that were CGI'd into smeg? I refuse to buy those "special" editions, they're just too painful to watch.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Dunno what was altered most. I don't remember getting round to seeing them. I would have thought on the first two series would have had the work done. Doubt we'll get any other versions.

Shame that series VII was so awful. They shouldn't have carried on with only one writer. I guess VIII was an improvement but generally it stopped at the end of series VI for me.

Are we to assume that R2 isn't going to get this, however?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming it's going to be simultaneous or very nearly so Theo. I'm guessing, especially with all the importing that the Beeb wouldn't allow stuff out in the US that wasn't available domestically, ESPECIALLY something like Red Dwarf

Scott Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Fan-smeggin-tastic! Besides Simpsons, this is the one release that I have been waiting for. Hope for some commentaries..they surely would be hilarious

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm guessing, especially with all the importing that the Beeb wouldn't allow stuff out in the US that wasn't available domestically
Not entirely true. As mentoined, at first the US got the upper hand on Blackadder (a choice of a nice 5 disc box set and getting Goes Forth a good while before the R2 disc and box set even came out here) and also, the US got the better deal on Absolutely Fabulous first (which I think domestic R2 has only just caught up on).

As I have said before, I think the BBC have actually put out superior products on region 1, at the very least treated the US better than they have region 2. I remember the League of Gentlemen DVD, all the same stuff as the R2 (+ much nicer cover and disc art) and it streeted about 10 days before the R2 and allegedly whilst series 2 of League is out on R2 now, the R1 will apparently be an even more special two disc version to make up for the delay (hopefully including the Christmas special).

Ragardless, this is good news to hear. Will they be the Re-mastered ones? Hmphhhhh, have a feeling they will be, but I wasnt totally against what they did, I just never saw the point in why they felt they had to do it. I'd still buy the DVDs if they were the tinkered versions if that's truly the only option...

Dan (UK)

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the League of Gentlemen DVD, all the same stuff as the R2 (+ much nicer cover and disc art) and it streeted about 10 days before the R2 and allegedly whilst series 2 of League is out on R2 now, the R1 will apparently be an even more special two disc version to make up for the delay (hopefully including the Christmas special).
I haven't heard any news regarding the release of series 2 of the League of Gentlemen in R1. Can you point me to where you found/heard that info? I've come close to plopping down the money for the R2 DVD, but I'm reluctant because it'd cost me more and wouldn't match my R1 series 1 DVD. ;)
I hope they put out the "Live at Drury Lane" disc in R1 as well.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits is also reporting the Red Dwarf seasons 1 and 2 DVDs coming in August in Region 1. I wonder how many discs each season will be? Since there are six episodes per season, and each episode is approximately 30 minutes or so, one disc could fit a season nicely. But what about extras?

-Tom

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Cynthia,
I remember asking that very question to an HTF member myself and the reply was (forget which member said it) that the news of a 2 disc version was read at a League of Gents website who had been in contact with the producers.
I tried following up any recent news but alas found none, I did find the Link Removed in question however which still posts the same info. The actual page with the news is Link Removed and you'll notice the info is from the teams management company, so fingers crossed.
Dan (UK)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Dan: I'd gladly give you Ab Fab before us if we could get your season 2 & 3 of Buffy. (Season one just hit the stores in the US this week.) I feel your pain.
Grrrrr...who pinched my Tension Sheet??!?
So anybody wanna buy my Series I-IV, VI, VII BBC tape collection? :)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I suppose its too much to hope that these are the Original Tril^H^H^H^H Episodes, not those hideously mangled CGI Special Editions they made a few years back? Or do we not have any other information yet on these?
Can someone describe the difference between the original and the CGI Special Editions? Was any dialogue altered?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Bits is also reporting the Red Dwarf seasons 1 and 2 DVDs coming in August in Region 1. I wonder how many discs each season will be?
I know, I told Bill :)
I'm guessing since there are 8 seasons, 1 season per disc (8 eps of MASH seem to fit nicely)
The remastered versions feature some cheesy CGI instead of cheesy model shots. Otherwise, they are basically unaltered (i've heard of some little missing bits, but I've only seen the remastered so I can't say)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The special editions also sport "more contemporary" music as well. Contemporary as of the time the SEs were done, of course, not now.
Example of how bad the CGI is: in one scene, with camera at head and shoulders height, a badly-superimposed CGI scutter moves across the bottom of the screen (i.e. in mid-air).
Also the SEs are cropped to 14:9, and remove half the frame information (one field out of two) for that "filmic" look. So it's reduced quality, butchered, and not even OAR. Avoid!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You know I think one of us should e-mail the BBC in regard to what versions these will be. They seem to give very prompt responses, may be an idea we make them aware now that the majority of us would care for the originals more than anything.

Cynthia,

Bit of bad news on League. I e-mailed the BBC yesterday to find out anything more, they said series 2 is not on the cards for region 1 which has well and truly p***ed me off! I'll have to buy the R2 now, will probably do my own cover art to give some consistency with my R1 copy of series 1. BAH!

Dan: I'd gladly give you Ab Fab before us if we could get your season 2 & 3 of Buffy. (Season one just hit the stores in the US this week.) I feel your pain.
No pain here, Bob. I only buy Region 1 99.9% of the time to be honest wiht you. The discs are cheaper and are frequently better produced than their R2 counterparts.

Where TV is concerned I HAVE been known to give in to some R2s (sure enough, the five or so R2 DVDs I do own are all TV related) but when it comes to Buffy I resist the temptation a) because the UK sets are stupid prices and b) because they were shot on film and I don't care for PAL speedup issues. Anything film sourced basicaly I wont buy on R2 (most UK TV shows are shot on tape so I am a little more easy going)...

Dan (UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks