Red Dragon Canadian : bilingual packaging?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul D G, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I can save a few bucks ording this from Canada but I need to know if the packaging is bilingual or if the content is otherwise different from the US release. Doesn't appear so but always good to check...

Thanks,

-paul

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    The content is identical, but the cover is bilingual (I have it).

Chris

3. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yup.. .they are bilingual. As you can see from Tom's pics, the covers aren't TOO bad... but the spines are crowded, and the backs are just jam-packed with stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Personally, I'm off to print a custom cover. [​IMG]

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It's certainly more tasteful than Back to the Future.

6. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. I'm referring to the pricey Directors Edition. At a $7 price difference I think I can forgive the back cover as long as the discs themselves are not altered. [​IMG]

-paul

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I have the CA version - because Overstock sent it to me! (I thought they were US)...

Anyway the packaging isn't horrid, and you aren't missing any pics on the back, it's just a lot more crowded.

One thing though: has someone compared the video bit rate? I wonder because the CA version has two 5.1 tracks (English and French) whereas the US version has 5.1 English but Stereo (or Surround) French. Hopefully they have the same video transfer w/ just a little more bits used for the extra French dialogue track, but one can never tell these days...

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Carlo,

the French track on the Canadian disc is Surround as well. The 5.1 is a misprint on the cover.
    Actually, I would have been surprised had there been any differences between the US and Canadian discs content-wise considering they're the same discs! (Take a look at the artwork on Disc 1, the ratings symbol says "R" on it.

Chris

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Thanks Christian! We just got done watching it and yes you are correct re: the French track.

BTW, anyone notice how much LOUDER the menu soundtrack is? (in comparison to the rest of the disc: film and extras!)

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I was originally going to pick up the Director's Edition in the US, but when I heard about the huge price difference between the DE and CE over there(about $13 US), I decided to make an exception in this case as the difference here is a measly $3 CDN. The director's diary is a fun watch which was totally unexpected given the subject matter of the film...Anthony Hopkins doing Brando impersonations in his restraints...worth the extra money IMO.