What's new

Red dots on screen? (1 Viewer)

Stuart R.

Auditioning
Just hooked up my new Denon AVR-3803 and Denon DVM-1805 to my Sony Wega KV-32FV15. I am periodically recieving a grid of red dots on the screen. Seems related to the Black Level setting on the DVD player, but that setting doesn't fix the problem. I would appretiate any info to help solve this problem.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Are the dots about one or two inches apart? Do they appear only when you press something on the DVD player's remote?
A grid of moderately spaced evenly spaced dots suggests a built in convergence test pattern. I would not be surprised if one of the DVD player remote codes makes the TV display that pattern.
Also adjust the brightness (black level) on the TV. If the dots are not a test pattern and are very dim, adjusting brightness control may hide the dots. Here, the underlying cause is probably something that only a serviceman could fix.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Stuart R.

Auditioning
The dots are evening spaced. Seem to come and go. "pulse" when present. Only redish. They just start randomly. No buttons are pressed. Sometimes very present in the "black bars" top and bottom, but fade in the picture.

Bobpaul

Agent
Hi:
I have the same TV. It looks that this is one the earliest and most crude gimmicks/excuse for lack of 1080i resolution that manufacturers still continue to pass on to consumers as "HDTV ready".
This TV my friends is and "enhanced" NTSC box not even capable of displaying the earliest anamorphic DVDs.
Looks to me like we both need HDTVs. Lets not get fooled by the lies, and wait patiently until the dust settles (1-3 years) and get the 60" flat screen with full HDTV resolutions 1080i x 2090(i may be wrong on this last number) for around $3k. The problem is that many folks who rushed to get s.c. HDTVs got units with poorer resolutions and guess what, that reflected sunray off the sand crystal on the turtle's nose may look better in full resolution HDTV :)
That's why i am still using the this TV.
Bob:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks