Red, Blue and White (French) films on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

My g/f and I were wondering if the Red, White and Blue series of films are already available on DVD. I remember seeing something about them on The Digital Bits a while ago, but haven't heard since.

Does anyone know?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

They are not yet available on R1 DVD. [​IMG]

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Miramax owns the rights and is supposedly working on releasing them. Translation: your guess is as good as anyone's as to when they'll actually come out.

I love these films too and I think I'm just going to go for the R2 versions.

4. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

My advice, keep well away from the R4 versions of these movies - the transfers as so bad they are almost unwatchable! A travesty for such wonderful movies [​IMG] In fact, all 3 movies have been inducted into the Hall of Shame by one of the major R4 review sites.
    Caveat Emptor! (R4)
    Angela

5. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

My 2 cents:

Get the R2 Editions from the UK - they are more than fantastic, they're AWESOME!

Tons of special features, as well as a great anamorphic transfer and great sound!

Only the UK edition has English subs, the French edition, which is pretty much identical, doesn't have the English subs.

Seb

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

7. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

IIRC there is a SE box-set of these coming from Buena Vista. Can't remember anything about any rumoured date though..

8. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I didn't know there was an R2 version.
    Is it PAL or NTSC? I have a Japanese PS2 that is region 2 NTSC - I wonder if it will play...

9. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

Yoshi,
    I just checked the rumour mill over at digitalbits.com, Bill Hunt posted on May 1st:

10. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Sorry, the UK discs are PAL.

As far as the quality of the UK releases, I'd say that Blue and White are close to "awesome", Red is very good but falls a bit shy of the quality of the other two. Red only looks a little better in fact than my Red laserdisc (which is admittedly one of the better laserdiscs in my collection). Considering that Red is anamorphic, I was expecting more. The soundtrack for Red also isn't as dynamic as the other two discs.

And yes, I was curious enough to get the Australian DVD of Red and it is total sh#@ (it was also thankfully very cheap).

The good news is that the US releases should be out by the end of the year and last I heard will have some special edition content (as do the UK releases).

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Let's just hope Miramax doesn't do what it has to other "foreign" titles like Belle de Jour or Purple Noon, and announce anamorphic transfers but deliver LD rehashes.

12. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

This trilogy is my Holy Grail. I hope they come out soon.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have all three US NTSC LaserDiscs and they are very good.