Red and the JPEG format

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Baranyi, Sep 14, 2003.

1. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Whenever I convert an image, say from the .TIF format, to JPEG, I quickly noticed that red and colors associated with it become very blurry or "lossy." The other colors are not affected through JPEG conversion.

Why is red and colors associated with it become blurry because of JPEG? Is there a way to correct this problem?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

prolly should be in the computer forum.

What program do you use to convert?

3. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I use IrfanView, a freeware program.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Red is probably the trickiest color to present in graphics without having it look like crap. That also goes for the video quality of red colors in everything from videotapes, laserdiscs, DVDs, mpegs, Quicktime files, etc. Whenever I design graphics and there's a good amount of red involved I make sure to increase the quality/size of the file so my reds don't look hideous. You have to experiment until you're pleased with what you see.

5. wally

wally Second Unit

Just off the top of my head it may be a color gamut problem. If you are converting CMYK .tif files to RGB .jpg (.jpg has only recently supported CMYK) files you could possibly have quite noticeable color shifts, particularly blues.