recycled joke from Yes, Dear

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricW, Jan 21, 2002.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i was watching Yes, Dear for the first time tonight and there was the following passage:

husband: i do my share of work around the house

wife: you so the bare minimum to keep from getting yelled at.

husband: i think we're talking about the same thing.

now if my memory serves me i heard that ~EXACT~ joke from either Raymond or King of Queens. does anybody know? are the writers the same?

has anybody ever seen this before? a multi-line joke being rehashed verbatim?

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

It probably was somewhere before, as nothing is really original on Tv these days, it's deja vu all over again, every night !

Those three shows have a quality of melting together...and especially, "King of Queens" and "Raymond" have had this thing where they go on each others' shows...I think it's called "cross promotion"...or "synergy"! What it is is very confusing.

Besides that block of shows is too white in skin color shade and attitude, to be distinctive. In this particular case only, does the composition of the cast meld into one big gob of nothingness and blandness !

I don't care about the sidekicks and the wife on "King...". My point is that the general ambience projected from the characters and the script dialogue is toooo safe, and it takes no chances in projecting nothing but BLAND, MIDDLE CLASS, STATUS QUO AND D-U-L-L.

Subtext is EVERYTHING...and I'm surprised CBS hasn't been upbraided for being so...well, white !

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Glad to know my whole race is boring. I think racism can swing both ways.

But I agree. A black sitcom is needed. But, I mean, if it used the same writing, would it really be any different?

4. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Ike, I feel that the way Blacks want to make Tv networks "aware" is nothing short of legal extortion...but that's another subject.

No, I'm not demanding that there be "Black Tv Shows". Just that there be Tv shows that not play on our knee jerk assumptions of "what is". That's not happening here.

When you look at this block of Tv shows, it's painfully obvious that the presentation of, in this case, white married males, is Hollywood's distorted vision of them, and that it's presented in a block of programming, a little too obviously, too much in one 90minute dose. Perpetuating stereotypes of those who are the Silent Majority isn't a crime, it seems.

There is no insight presented here in these scripts, or satire. It's just junk Tv, wherein the producers and writers just rehash 52 years of Tv history and serve it up as "hip here and now". There is no new ground broken. Just alot of DULL BLANDNESS.

CBS uses this cross promotion technique...by putting the lead guy of "Kings..." a friend of the lead guy in "Raymond". But it doesn't end there. As Eric pointed out, the dialogue isn't original...going so far as to directly copy.

Are viewers that stupid...well, maybe just lazy.

Not using the chromium switch.

5. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

Yo buss dis. Yah, what CBS needs be some Hughley's or some Wayans shows. Sheeit!
    I'm finding it very difficult to respond to MikeAW's post without getting myself into trouble, but I'd have to say that there are very few original "black" television shows out there as well. For the most part, they all portray the black race as one where familys argue a lot, there's lots of money troubles, and every once in a while they throw in an episode where some race is being "oppressed" and the parents explain to the children how the world is and they shouldn't have to put up with it. Sounds pretty bland and boring to me.
    Also, you've got to remember that networks program for a majority audience, so creating shows that the white, middle-class audience can relate to would cover their target audience pretty well. I'd also like to apologize for my race being so bland. I guess we just need more coluh. Gosh, I never knew how hard it was to exude sarcasm through the web. [​IMG]
    Edit: Since Mike responded before I could, I have to ask him this question: If you don't like what's on, then why watch it? Obviously someone likes those shows, otherwise they wouldn't have lasted as long as they have. So, you watch your BET and I'll watch my CBS.

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

What is perplexing to me...maybe you can explain this one Chris...why this unoriginal sitcom plotting is so still so popular with viewers, today, even though all that changes are the cardboard actors that interpret it ?

We are talking about Tv plots that have been regurgitated like cud, for over fifty years...from the days of "Father's Knows Best", "My Little Margie" and "I Married Joan". The new faces and jargon, can't really bring that much freshness to it all...but perhaps that the secret.

And Tv is basically a spectator sport...non involving, intellectually. We just sit down, hook it into our vein, and look at the Tv set with that "Duhhhhhhh" look. We would do the same for finger shadow shows too and think it was something great! Amazing medium.

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Mike,
    If we were honest about these sitcoms, it's really not minorities who are being shown dishonest, it's the majority-women.
    It always bugs me that in everyone of the shows the mom is stay at home. Both of my parents always worked, and so did everyone's I knew. We as a society have at least progressed far enough with women to have them working (of course not for the same amount of money or power). At least the woman on King of Queens works (except, she's in a degrading secretary job). There's very few women centered sitcoms (Ellen, I suppose) and if they do, they focus on who they are constantly dating-it's more soap opera than comedy show. Even Sex and The City, a show I find quite funny, is guilty of this.
    Anyway, anybody want to answer his question? [​IMG]

8. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Ike, don't "women" have entire cable networks set aside for what is purported to be for their "entertainment"...I really hesitated to use the "e" word.

"Lifetime" and "Oxygen". In fact, women have major and extremely visable and meaningful roles as independent producers, and deciding what shows get picked-up by the networks...besides the behind the scenes technical jobs.

It seems to me it's "The System"...meaning the "Business of Television"...that decides the...ahem, "quality" of what

is broadcast ? You know, all the parts, focus groups, ratings system, etc.

9. Chris Wittry

First off, Ike, I agreed with you completely, until you said this:

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Actually, on the show in question, her secretary job is degrading. I wasn't saying all secrataries. And even as such, isn't it bad enough that her job-one of the few jobs held by a woman in the block of Monday night shows-is serving a man?

11. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Chris, I can see how "we all can get along" better, if we are all dumbed down and insulted by how we are percieved by a group of pinheads on the Left Coast.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and the World is good.

Thanks.

12. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Chris, I can see how "we all can get along" better, if we are all dumbed down and insulted by how we are percieved by a group of pinheads on the Left Coast.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and the World is good.

I will turn on the Estrogen Network and feel inferior...but good.

Thanks.

13. Chris Wittry

Glad to see you got my point Mike. By the way, unless you just like to debate about things like this, there's always the option of turning off your cable service and just watching DVD's. Of course, the same stereotypes exist there, so why not just ship your tv to my house and read a good book! [​IMG]

14. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

The show that Carrie was in prior to King of Queens (dont remember the title) had her paired with the lawyer from NYPD Blue - you see how long that lasted (maybe 1 season at the most). They both were career professionals in that show.

Just face it - the nuclear family still sells well to middle America.

15. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

It seems a reallll Long time ago, that the F.C.C. was established to oversee the "public's airwaves"...the broadcast spectrum.

Now the airwaves don't belong to the People anymore. It is now just a license to print money for the Federal Government, administrated at the behest and for the approval of The Special Media Interests and Media Monopolies, by agents of The Special Media Interests and Media Monopolies.

See the current FCC Commissioner, who with his father, the Secretary of State of the United States, who had...or still probably has in some form...millions of dollars of shares of Time-Warner stock, when he took office.

Makes one think, huh ?

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

17. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Mike you have the uncanny ability to type a sentence that has No subjet, NO verb...just catchphrases.

i.e. "The liberal "left-coast" cats rehashing whityism beyond the valley of the dolls with the same bland-o characters, self-doubt, love, sex, bleach!...too rich for my blood! Can you see it?

Dude, thats what your saying...AND PEOPLE ARE RESPONDING!

18. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Back (kind of) to the original question. It's funny that you mention this because I caught a different example of the same phenomenon last night. 'King of Queens' featured a subplot regarding the King's black friend's son picking out a feminine Halloween costume, much to the father's dismay. Then, 1/2 hour later on 'Yes Dear' (terrible sitcom, by the way ... boy do I miss Seinfeld) the main couple's son picks out a 'Snow White' something or other to the father's dismay...jeez, could you please be more obvious [​IMG]

19. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well, CBS is the most conservative of the big 4. They generally play to the viewers looking for "traditional" television. (They've gotten away from that a bit with shows like Survivor, Weakest Link, and Amazing Race in the last few years, but it's by far the most old-style television.) While I agree that (while I like the show very much) Raymond can be a fairly bland unoriginal sitcom. Raymond's parents are what keep me turning in, being such untraditional characters in a traditional sitcom. Becker, meanwhile, is perhaps the most unconventional of the CBS traditional sitcoms. They've got the traditional "token black guy" character in Becker's nurse/assistant Margaret, but she's not portrayed as a stereotypical black character.