What's new

Recurring Nightmares (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Reading the other thread about panic attacks made me think of this. I have never suffered from a panic attack (and sympathies to all who have - it sounds awful) but I think the closest I came was in middle school when I woke from a nightmare which would present itself at various times over the next few years. The nightmare has not returned as an adult, but there are times, when I'm usually low on sleep, the feeling of dread and fear that the nightmare induced seems to be trying to force its way in.

The details of the nightmare tended to change, but there was always some kind of crisis, whether the destruction of the world because of a critical error in judgment or the impending death of someone trapped in a construction site, etc. The first time this happened I woke up believing it was real and it took some time to snap out of it and return to reality.

Some would say I probably watched too many age inappropriate movies as a youth :D

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I've always had a bunch of recurring dreams. They are not really nightmares. I don't have them much anymore.

The first one was a fear of flying. I didn't fly from about the mid 80's to 1998. My recurring dream was getting on a plane and never making it to my destination. I never crashed, but i just would never make it. Those dreams stopped since i've been flying almost yearly since 98.

The 2nd one was forgetting my locker combination to my junior high locker. I would always forget and have to walk these long halls to the school office and get my combination.

Third one was going back to work at a bank i used to work at and always worried that I would run into an ex girlfriend of mine i used to work with there. These dreams now have morphed into a present day dreams of meeting her in strange situations...no never sexual :)

I've always had dreams that stay with me throughout a day and just baffle the heck out of me and it distracts me for a day or two.

i've tried to read books on what dreams mean, but in the end it all seemed to be psychobabble to me.

Paul

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
One of the only recurring dreams I have are of me flying like Superman. Now THOSE are awesomely fun dreams. I get extremely pissed when I wake up from one of those because I wanna keep flying. Damnit. :angry:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Lately my recurring dreams have also been about high school. One of them is forgetting my locker combination and the other is always being late to math class and forgetting to do my assignments and knowing I'm going to flunk.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Two reoccurring dreams since childhood - flying like superman and a nightmare of my old house (creeped me out).

I can absolutely relate to this! My superman dreams are awesome, although very infrequent. It's amazing how hard you have to punch your fist in the air to get airborne! :D

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've had the dreams about flying like Superman, forgetting the locker combination, and showing up late to class or forgetting to do my assignments back in high school.

~T

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

I've had the same type of dreams about flunking classes, except they take place in college instead of high school.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
" It's amazing how hard you have to punch your fist in the air to get airborne!"

Not me, I had to flap like a bird until I got above tree level.

My wierd dream was my inability to turn on a light, or when I saw a light and tried to get close it would go out, I'd be left in near darkness. Pretty scary actually.

Brent

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had one in a while, but my nightmares always had a common theme.

I never dreamt that I was falling, actually it was the opposite. I would dream that I was riding my bike or doing something that involved me jumping into the air. But, instead of returning to Earth, I just kept going higher and higher. I would be overcome with this feeling of dread knowing that I'm going to eventually have to fall back down.

Then I would wake up.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I'm an admitted ARCF (anal-retentive control freak) in many ways, so most of my nightmares are about situations being beyond my control, or my being helpless in some circumstance.

I've had dreams similar to those others have mentioned about college, but mine usually involve being late (which I almost never am in real life), or trying to get to a class but I'm lost and have NO clue how to get there. I've also dreamed (more than once) about suddenly realizing that I hadn't attended a certain class in a couple of months, having totally forgotten about it during that whole time.

Ever have ultra-realistic dreams, so real that you wake up believing that they really happened?

When I was young, I remember dreaming several times that I had done something bad and, in the dreams, I KNEW that my parents had somehow found out about it, but had not yet confronted me about it. (You know...the "dread" factor.) I distinctly remember at least 3 times waking up from such a dream actually believing that it had happened (and that I actually HAD done something bad), and waiting for the inevitable confrontation about it from my parents. On two of those occasions, I finally figured out on my own that it had all been a dream. But, once, I believed it all so strongly that I finally went to my Mom and asked her about it, just to go ahead and get it over with. Boy, was I relieved when she burst into laughter!

A couple of times, I've had that same sort of very realistic dream about someone that I care about dying or being killed, and actually woke up believing it for a brief time. NOT fun.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I used to have recurring nightmares that I was somehow out in public naked, usually, at work. This was not fun. I was always trying to hide. In the dream no one seemed to notice but it was very anxiety provoking to be naked when everyone else was dressed. Don't need Freud to have an idea of what this was about.

Just one of many anxiety dreams I have had, sorry to say. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks