What's new

Recumbent Bikes & Bike Carriers (1 Viewer)

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking of getting a Recumbent Bike. I bought a "Comfort Bike" last year which has been great but I rented a Recumbent while on vacation and now I'm "hooked".

The problem is I have a Yakima 4 bike car hitch carrier.

Any suggestions for transporting a Recumbent with 2 other regular bikes ?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Most 'bents have a longer wheelbase than upright bikes, but it is still possible to use a fork mounted bike carrier from Thule, Yakima, Saris, etc with them since they all probably make specific recumbent-capable fork mounted carrier. A quick Google search shows a Thule version:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...rack-590r.html

That is a link to an online retailer of bike racks, however you can look at Thules or Yakimas or Saris' site for more information.

Of course, you're best to also research directly on how wide crossbars you will need if you want to figure out how many bikes you could carrier with a 'bent there since most 'bents I've seen are a bit wider than standard uprights, at least where the seat is.

Since I see you mentioned you have a hitch mount bike carrier, I would say that if you can afford the roof rack, the above link I put is a roof-mounted bike carrier. I don't know of any options to use a hitch mounted bike carriers for bents but you can always ask Thule if there is an option for that. If your 'bent isn't too wide, it might be possible, though not sure if you would be able to actually carry 4 bikes with the 'bent on it.

Jay

DwightK

Second Unit
I have 2 bent bikes currently, an Easy Racers Tour Easy (long wheel base) and Volae Club (high racer). I use a thule fork mount roof system made for bents and it works fine.

A hitch or rear mount will hold a bent just take off the seat and set the frame over the bars and bungie on. With the seat off, a bent takes up no more room than a regular bike. A diamond framed bent like my Tour Easy is more obvious but is also very long. Take of the wheels maybe?

I have a bunch of regular bikes as well but the bents are more fun for their applications and for touring the ER can't be beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks