Rectangular HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian.M, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Howdy experts, I am building a home theater from the ground up and have a 15 by 25 foot rectangular lot to make it. My question is that is a rectangular shape good for a dedicated home theater? I heard the front viewing area/wall should be either smaller or larger that the rear area/wall, is this true and which side should be wider than the other?
    And if I may include, what is the best ceiling height based on this room measurements?

2. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

Hi Brian. The size and shape of your room is good for a dedicated HT. Mine is 14'x 26' and works beautifully. As for one end of the room being wider than the other, I personally have not heard of this. I think your length and width will be fine. As far as the ceiling height goes, if you can get at least 8', that would be great. If you can go higher, thats fine too. However, if you can't get 8', you can still go as low as 7' without a problem. Mine is 7' 2" and I've got an 8" high riser for a second row of seating. So, unless your friends are all 7' tall, that should'nt pose as a problem. Good luck with your theater!

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I believe the parameters u speak of about walls not being parallel to each other including floor and ceiling, perforated screen with center channel behind it,etc., are requisites for a THX certified theater. Unless u can meet these not to mention the cash to "help" it along, a rectangular one should do fine. Mine BTW is 12 x 25 with ceiling height of 8.5"...also now with a second row of seats on a 9" riser. [​IMG]

4. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Damn you guys are good! Thanks a heap! Talk about a load off my mind. Do any of you have windows in your HT? I know this is not supposed to be, but I would like to take advantage of the mountain breeze to air the room once in awhile. I was just thinking of a slim single pane window on opposite sides of the room, both being of sturdy
    construction and the installers claiming 70% sound insulation.

5. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

No windows in my theater. I chose the side of the basement without windows to get rid of all ambient light. By the way, are you going with a projector and screen, or an rptv? The size of your room would easily allow for at least a 106" screen and a projector. I assumed you would since your going with a dedicated ht. Thats what I've got and its definately the way to watch movies.