Recs on best cd megachanger for my setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HarryR, Jun 18, 2002.

1. HarryR

HarryR Agent

Thanks in advance for your advice. What I am looking for is a 300 or more CD changer which will work well with my system.
    My system:
    Marantz 7200 receiver
    Panasonic RP 91 DVD
    Paradigm Studio 60's/20's/CC/2200 sub
    [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harry, what is your budget? Take a look at the Sony ES and non-ES 400-disc megachangers. If you can, go with one of the ES models, the CDP-M333ES or 'M555ES. For more information on these players, go to www.crutchfield.com . They are solid components. The two models are similar, but the 'M555ES has a video output for on-screen disc navigation, as well as an LCD remote for easier disc navigation. Soundwise, the two models are equivalent.
    Note that Crutchfield's prices are high. You should be able to do better through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), OneCall (1-800-340-4770), or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). All are authorized dealers.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I second Keith suggestion. Sony ES seems to be best for mega-changers. You'll get great sound, features, and build quality with Sony ES. You'll be surprised how great of deal you can get through Oade Bros. and since their an authorized dealer you can be worry-free since all Sony ES equipment comes with a 5-year warranty.

Let us know your budget and I am sure others can assist with helping you pick the best changer for your money.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg,
    I forgot about the Sony ES five-year warranty. Good point. [​IMG]
    Harry,
    Where do you live? Note that the five-year warranty only applies in the US. In Canada, the warranty is only good for three years. Anyway, the non-ES models come with a one-year warranty, regardless of where you live.

5. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Well, since I am using receiver for DAC, I went with cheapest - Sony 400 CDP. Right now there are 3 of them, and looks like another one will be coming in a few months.
    Couple comments:
    1) Make sure that each changer is very level. Use long leveler, to get it horizontally. Check 2 directions (left-right, front-back), with 90 dg angle... All cases of jamming changers were caused by angled shelves.
    2) Look into Slink-e from Nirvis. Http://www.nirvis.com - there is a discussion group on yahoo. Also, there is a nice way to integrate slink-e with HomeSeer, resulting in a web interface to your whole music collection.
    3) It always starts with the first one :).
    Good luck.
    _zjt

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zbigniew, Sony discontinued the CDP-CX400 and replaced it with the 'CX455, which plays MP3-encoded CDs. The 'CX450 is still available. Have you heard anything about another new model? I could see the 'CX450 being replaced with an MP3-compatible version. That way, you would have the 'CX455, which has the standard remote, and an MP3-compatible version with the LCD remote and video output. I could see it happening, but I haven't heard anything about it.

7. Zbigniew

KeithH,

you see, I do not use MP3 ;-(; also, additional functionality of 450 (bi-directional remote) is useless for me. My changers are on the way to closet, controlled by Slink-E. I do not remeber when was the last time I used remote directly on changers.... Any operation is triggered either via WWW interface, predefined X-10 events (scheduled start of music, or turning off all gear for night); CD/song selection and polaylist management is done from Web via Slinke.

Additionally, routing of sound to both rooms was done by Denon, and hopefully by some kind of digital cross connect in future, if we manage to convince Nirvis to do another run of DXS (great digital switcher, multiple coax/Toslin in-outs, modular, programmable). Since changers are used only as transport, with extensive processing down the line, there was no need for me to loo at DAC in changers - I do not use them.

Bottom line - I usually buy cheapest equipment which provides me with functionality and quallity my ears can hear...

All the best,
    _zjt

8. HarryR

HarryR Agent

Dont really have a budget persay. Have been looking at the Sony's but not the ES models (will look at them). Was thinking about the Marantz model but it really doesnt offer anything special for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

9. HarryR

HarryR Agent

I tell you what would benice.....someone come out with a megachanger with multichannel SACD capability that also had a 5.1 analog passthrough input so you could also use an outboard DVD-A player if you had one (like my RP-91) without having to rig up some kind of switch.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

i've had my 300 disc Sony (non ES) for a while now and coupled with the pronto its fantastic.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zbigniew,

I don't do MP3 either. I was just mentioning what is available now. Also, the better DAC is not the only reason to buy an ES player over a non-ES model. The five-year ES warranty is nice.

Harry,

The Marantz megachanger doesn't offer anything unusual in the features department, but it could very well be a great-sounding player. Have you auditioned it?

12. HarryR

HarryR Agent

Unfortunately, I have not been able to as my dealer does not stock it since it is not a high demand item.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harry, same here. My local Marantz dealers don't stock it. I think the typical buyer of a Marantz CD player isn't looking for a megachanger. Since you were interested in the Marantz player, look at the Sony ES models. As I said, you can get them at a nice discount through Oade Bros., OneCall, or J&R Music World. I bought two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc players (previous generation) from J&R two years ago for $400 each. The 'CX333ES retailed for $600, which is what Crutchfield and Tweeter were charging. Let me add that I bought the two players a month apart, so I didn't get a "volume discount".

14. Zbigniew

For me the extended warranty is not worthy price difference - either it breaks in first 2 weeks (one was broken and was unable to read 25% of CD; J&R did advance replacement and will get my bussiness in future) or works forever. In 3-4 years I probably will move to somtehing what will take all nine yeards - CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, so I will load all shiny circles into few changers, connect some kind of control module (Xbox anyoune ? ) and let it roll...

I am promoting Sony + Nirvis + HomeSeer, because this combo allows for very flexible setup - which woudl otherwise cost few kilo$$.

Regards,

_zjt

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Zbigniew said:

16. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the previous posts, Sony is definitely the way to go in the world of megachangers. Add in a Slink-e from nirvis and things get even better. The quality of the DACs was very important to me and so I picked up the M555ES. If I could do it again, I'd get the M333ES because I've never used the video output feature. The longer warranty does not hurt either, considering the complexity of the disc mechanism. Pioneer makes a big changer, and I believe there is a Slink-e type device for that too. Sony is a safe bet, though.