Recs for Clamps

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark.Louis, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Am just getting into the Speaker DIY hobby, and for Xmas the wife got me two 36" quick action clamps from Lowes for $28 each. I took them back knowing I could get them cheaper, but am not sure where to go.

My first project will be GR's AV-3s, requiring at least a 48" bar clamp for the sides. I know others have recommended either Harborfreight.com or pennstateindustries.com. They seem to be cheaper there, but will they do the trick? Are there certain features I need to look for/have in these clamps? I've done some wood working in the past, but have used mainly small and C-clamps...no experience with large bar clamps. Any recs on a spec brand would be helpful.

Mark

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I bought a whole bunch of ebay pretty cheap.

I started a thread a while back on clamps, I got a lot of recommendations. You might want to search to see if you can find the thread.

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

ebay, a bunch of people do those dutch auctions and you can score them for about 3 bucks for a clamp 36". but remember they are what you pay for. I get by with mine.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think I got in on a Penn Industries clamp sale and got a boatload of clamps for under $50 (of course, by then, I haven't found a project to work on, go figure).

5. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

HarborFreight - I picked up 2 24 inch bar clamps (@$3.49) 2 30 inch bar clamps (@$3.99) and 4 corner clamps (@1.99). Quality was good enough to get the job done. I glued up my sub this weekend with them and am almost done with the paint job.