Recovering data from a hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Weeks, May 27, 2005.

1. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I just rebuilt my computer, new motherboard and CPU. When I brought the computer back up, windows won't start. I put the hard drive into another computer, and the same result.

I am going to buy another hard drive and get the computer running, but is there any way to recover my data off the old drive?

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    If it isn't too far gone, there's a program called Norton Ghost, that will take from one drive and put on another..............
    Good luck!

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

If you have Windows XP, the problem might be that Windows sensed too many hardware changes and refused to start up (an effort to curb piracy). Were there any error messages, or did nothing show up at all? When you put it in the other computer, was the hard drive the slave or the master?

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    More information needed. When you say "Windows won't start", what does that mean exactly? Are you getting an error message, a memory dump, nothing at all? Any funny beeps from the system?

We need to know exactly what happens, in what order, and the full text of any and all error messages, before anyone will be able to hazard a reasonable guess as to the cause of the problem.

Regards,

Joe

5. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

You could always do a "dirty boot", which is to say, install a second Operating System on the same hard drive, on a new partition (without formatting the old OS), which would allow you to get back into the OS and recover basic files such as .DOC, .XLS, images files, ect... You wont be able to use the installed programs due to the registry confusion of having a new OS, but at least you can recover your files.

You could also install this hard drive on another PC with a working OS, and simply set the non-function drive to "slave". You will be able to see you files (unless the their is something physically wrong with it). Again, you could recover most all files, but would still need to reinstall software, drivers, ect.

You could also buy a $80.00 120 gig new hard drive and install that into you current PC, install XP on that hard drive, and set the old one to "slave", and basically have the same result as the above suggestion, without needing another PC.

If you could give us the specific error message, that might help. You could always try a windows RECOVERY by booting from the XP disk, which there are plenty of "how-tos" that explain this process (it's fairly simple) on the internet, and probably here as well.

Hope this helps.

What ever you do, unless you don’t have files you want to recover, don’t simply format the hard drive. You almost always can recover the files from a non-hardware related disk problem. I have had many hard drive OS related problems over the years, and no matter how Dell, IBM, Gateway, or Maxtor recommended simply formatting and starting over, I was able to recover by doing a lot of tedious research on the internet. [​IMG]

NTLDR IS MISSING is my favorite Windows error message on startup, by the way. [​IMG]

6. Steve Weeks

When I turn on the computer, it goes through the BIOS portion, then when it would normally go boot Windows (XP with service pack one) it resets and begins the boot process over again. No message of any kind.

In the second computer, the hard drive was the master. It was the only hard drive connected, I disconnected the hard drive from the second computer and put this one in in it's place.

The hard drive does not make any unusual sounds.

Thanks for all your input.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Sounds like it could be a hardware problem, which is not what you want to hear.

Still, this may not be the case, and even if it is that doesn't mean you absolutely can't recover data from it.

First thing to do is this: Install this drive as a slave in your other computer. Boot to the master and see if you can "see" the second drive. If you can, you can probably transfer your data files to the other drive. Let us know what happens.

Regards,

Joe

8. Steve Weeks

I picked up a new hard drive this afternoon. I put the new drive in as a master, and the old drive as a slave. After I installed XP on the new drive, I was able to see my old drive and pull all my dat off of it.

Thanks for all your input.