Recording with Dish Network

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Nguyen, Jun 14, 2001.

1. David Nguyen

David Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into signing up with Dish Network, after reading all the glowing reviews. I have a question about recording programming with a VCR though. I keep reading that the Dish receivers have an S-video output, so how would I record with my Sony SLV-N50? (It's Sony's lowest model VCR from last year.)
    Ideally, I would get the receiver with the hard disk recorder, but a satellite system would already be a luxury for me, considering I'm paying off my new tv. I will only be signing up with America's Top 50, and whichever receiver fits my needs the best. (No need for AC3 output either.)

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    All Dish receivers have S-video, composite video and left/right analog audio. All but the model 6000 have RF (channel 3/4).
    - Robert

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    David,
    I use my s-video out on my dish reciever to go to my preamp and then s-video on my preamp to my tv. I also have the toslink cable going to my preamp as well.
    My VCR does not have s-video, so I use the composite out and the left and right audio outputs on my dish receiver to my external inputs on my VCR. When I need to program to record, I need to keep my dish reciever on and set to the channel I want to record and program my vcr to record off of L1, which is the external line 1 input.
    Hope this helps
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

4. David Nguyen

David Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I think my mind just isn't working tonight, but I'm still a tad confused. Is there a way to record without having to leave the receiver on?
    Is it possible to hook up the RF to the VCR for recording, and the S-video to the tv for normal viewing?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Dave's suggestions will give you a better picture. Hooking the RF out to the VCR and recording channel 3 or 4 does not give me an acceptable picture.
    BTW, the receiver is always on. When you "turn it off" all you are doing is turning off the video outputs. The receiver is still downloding guide info and any software updates.
    -Robert

6. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Robert,
    I agree with you about the picture quality. Going the RF route is pretty bad.
    And you are absolutely correct about needing to keep the receiver on for the outputs to be working.
    David,
    I'm not sure of what the newer dish receivers can do as far as recording, but you may want to look into those and record the shows digitally. The one problem with the method I use is that you cannot watch one show and record another. That's usually not a problem with me, but it may be to others.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

7. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit