Recording VHS to my PC's - DVD Burner?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark_H, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Looking for a way to get VHS home movies on to DVD.

I already have a DVD burner on my PC and have USB, Ethernet and Firewire connectivity. PC has a 3ghz CPU 512mb of DDR and I have over 100gb of free hard drive space.

I need something that will let me input Composite from the VCR and output to one of the above ports. Might also transfer future tapes from my Hi8 camcorder so S-Video input would be good as well.

I want the DVD to be playable in a Standalone DVD player and want the video quality as good as possible but also don't want to spend alot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Peter Chen

Peter Chen Auditioning

Pinnacle has several solutions to what you're trying to do. I have studio 8.10 and it will take composite in from my older camcorder and puts it on the hard drive. I can then burn a dvd from that. Studio is an editor so if you only want to copy it may be overkill.

3. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Peter: Thanks for the reply.

Did some searches and came up with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...100-005&depa=0

It says it will do 720x480 and the price is right. Anyone have any experience with this model? I'm sure the editing is quite limited, but I'm really just looking for a quality transfer.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    That looks exactly like my LeadTek video capture card. I haven't tried to record from VHS but I have connected a security camera to it. I was really surprised at how good the picture was. I can't remember my model number but it cost me $24 from NewEgg. It's not on their website any more.

-Robert