Recording to VCR from TV.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Amit Patel, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

I want to record TV programs but I do not like to connect incoming cable signal to VCR IN and then from VCR OUT to my TV vhf/uhf IN because I do not like to route VIDEO signal through my VCR. However my TV and VCR manuals do specify connecting VCR from incoming cable signal ant then to the TV.

I connected audio/video out from my TV to audio/video IN to my VCR to record, however this way I was not able to record. I configured my TV,VCR and receiver as per receiver manual and connected VCR to my receiver as per receiver’s manual that is audio/video IN/OUT from receiver to audio/video IN/OUT to VCR but was not successful.

I do worry regarding signal degradation as the cable goes through my VCR and then to the TV. I am aware that if I go through TV, only channel currently set can be recorded. However I am curious and really want to find out that why my connection does not work the way it is set up, that is TV audio/video OUT to VCR audio/video IN.

My question is Do I really need to connect my VCR first to the incoming cable signal and then to the TV vhf/uhf IN?.

Followings are my components for your information. Any Ideas or suggestions ?.

SONY Receiver STR-DA555ES.

SONY TV KP-61HS10.

SONY VCR SLV-M91HF.

SONY DVP-CX850D 200 DISC DVD player.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

My guess is that you didn't change your VCR to record from the line input you had your TV connected to.

Another option you might try is splitting your cable, with one lead going to the TV, the other to the VCR.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Amit,

4. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

Thanks for the information, I may use cable signal to

VCR IN and than from VCR OUT to TV IN as you

indicated. You did educate me regarding cable signal

that it is RF and not audio/video. I still do not

understand why my TV has audio/video OUT ?.

I understand 'audio' part, but where can I use 'video'

part of the TV OUT.

Thanks again,

Amit.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Regarding your question:

6. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

Due to difficulty in taping with a cable box, I recently split my cable signal, one to the vcr and one to the cable box. The TV has 2 75ohm inputs, as well as 2 Video inputs and one Video Out.

I have not noticed any picture improvement in running A/V cables between the vcr and the TV. I do need to put the numeric scale at least 10% higher when using the A/V cables to achieve the same sound level.

Is there any benefit to connecting through the A/V cables (Audio L/R and Video) over the 75ohm, either from the VCR or the digital cable box?

quote:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I’m not even sure if there is a signal on these video out connections. If there is you could connect both audio and video out jacks to a VCR’s RCA inputs and record that way. Can’t think of any other use for a TV’s video out jack.

----------------------------------------------------------

I looked at my TV manual. The only example using the Video out involved a DVD/satellite receiver and a VCR. I don't have this setup, I am only providing it for informational purposes:

75ohm from satellite to satellite receiver

S video from satellite receiver to TV

L/R audio out from satellite receiver to TV's video 1 input.

75ohm from antenna to VCR

75ohm from VCR to TV ant-1

Video out (Red,White,Yellow) from TV to Video in VCR

Video out (Red,White,Yellow) from VCR to Video 2 in TV

Manual states with this setup, "you can record from DVD/satellite receiver and TV, as well as record one TV channel while watching another."