What's new

Recording to VCR from DVR (1 Viewer)

GeorgeVR

Auditioning
I would like to record from my (cable company supplied) digital HD DVR to my VCR, but can't get it to work. Can anyone suggest how I should do my hookups?

Here's my equipment:
- Motorola dual tuner Digital HD DVR(from cable company, model DCT6400 Phase III)
- Hitachi Projection (HD) TV (model 51S500)
- Sony A/V Receiver (model STR-DE895)*
- Sony DVD/VCR Combo (model SLV-D360P)

*connected to 5.1 surround speakers

My DVR is getting full, and I can't delete any of the movies on it (my wife and kids would kill me).

HELP!

The clincher, of course, is that I want to continue to be able to watch HD programming. If I have to do a temporary setup just to record, that's ok, but I'd rather not.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Are these HD shows stored on your DVR? If that's the case.. I don't believe theres any way to get from here to there. At least not without some additional equipment.

If these are just standard definition shows, I would think there's an analog out on that DVR someplace that you could plug into your VCR's input and record away.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends on the DVR. With my HR10-250 (aka HD Tivo), I just have to set the output resolution to 480i and it turns on the composite and s-video outputs. Then it's like recording from any standard device.

-Robert

GeorgeVR

Auditioning
thanks to everybody who responded. I did finally find a solution.

Here is the composite cabling set up:

1) The composite audio and video OUTS on the cable box DVR run to "TV/SAT IN" on the A/V tuner.
2) The "VIDEO 1 IN" on the A/V tuner comes from the VCR composite OUT.
3) The "VIDEO 1 OUT" on the A/V tuner goes to the "VCR LINE 1" IN.
4) The "MONITOR OUT" from from the A/V tuner runs to the "TV VIDEO 3 IN."

I had to make an adjustment on the AUDIO set up in the DVR configuration: this was a setting with the local cable company, not the box itself. (I had to set "Optimal Stereo" to "YES.")

When I want to record from the TV, I simply select the TV/SAT input on the A/V tuner, LINE 1 input on the VCR, and VIDEO 3 on the TV.

When I want to watch a video, I simply select the VIDEO 1 input on the A/V tuner, and VIDEO 3 on the TV. (It doesn't matter what the VCR is set to.)

I have my component hookups for HD TV and the DVD running through the A/V tuner also, and the nice thing is that this does not seem to interfere with that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks