Recording to VCR from DVR

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by GeorgeVR, Mar 13, 2006.

1. GeorgeVR

GeorgeVR Auditioning

I would like to record from my (cable company supplied) digital HD DVR to my VCR, but can't get it to work. Can anyone suggest how I should do my hookups?

Here's my equipment:
    - Motorola dual tuner Digital HD DVR(from cable company, model DCT6400 Phase III)
    - Hitachi Projection (HD) TV (model 51S500)
    - Sony A/V Receiver (model STR-DE895)*
    - Sony DVD/VCR Combo (model SLV-D360P)

*connected to 5.1 surround speakers

My DVR is getting full, and I can't delete any of the movies on it (my wife and kids would kill me).

HELP!

The clincher, of course, is that I want to continue to be able to watch HD programming. If I have to do a temporary setup just to record, that's ok, but I'd rather not.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Are these HD shows stored on your DVR? If that's the case.. I don't believe theres any way to get from here to there. At least not without some additional equipment.

If these are just standard definition shows, I would think there's an analog out on that DVR someplace that you could plug into your VCR's input and record away.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It depends on the DVR. With my HR10-250 (aka HD Tivo), I just have to set the output resolution to 480i and it turns on the composite and s-video outputs. Then it's like recording from any standard device.

-Robert

4. GeorgeVR

GeorgeVR Auditioning

thanks to everybody who responded. I did finally find a solution.

Here is the composite cabling set up:

1) The composite audio and video OUTS on the cable box DVR run to "TV/SAT IN" on the A/V tuner.
    2) The "VIDEO 1 IN" on the A/V tuner comes from the VCR composite OUT.
    3) The "VIDEO 1 OUT" on the A/V tuner goes to the "VCR LINE 1" IN.
    4) The "MONITOR OUT" from from the A/V tuner runs to the "TV VIDEO 3 IN."

I had to make an adjustment on the AUDIO set up in the DVR configuration: this was a setting with the local cable company, not the box itself. (I had to set "Optimal Stereo" to "YES.")

When I want to record from the TV, I simply select the TV/SAT input on the A/V tuner, LINE 1 input on the VCR, and VIDEO 3 on the TV.

When I want to watch a video, I simply select the VIDEO 1 input on the A/V tuner, and VIDEO 3 on the TV. (It doesn't matter what the VCR is set to.)

I have my component hookups for HD TV and the DVD running through the A/V tuner also, and the nice thing is that this does not seem to interfere with that setup.