Recording to MP3

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Shannon, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I have several old vinel(sp?) records that I would love to put onto my computer... I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure my sound card has a line in jack...but I don't know what program I can use to do this? I know I can't use Windows sound recorder, as that only does 60s wav's...

It would be great if someone could recommend a program that can create MP3's from line in.....thnx....

PS... will the volume have to be adjusted somehow? I heard somewhere that turntables have very low sound output.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I would reccomend initially recording the input into a wav then recompressing the wav into a MP3. through this method there is less chance of skipping in the mp3 (skips are caused when the computer hits 100% usage and can no longer encode on the fly for a brief moment).

and yes turntables need a pre-amp to make their inputs line-level, that's why a lot of recievers have a seperate input for them (phono). should be able to find one at radio shack for cheap.

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

High Criteria's TotalRecorder is a cheap ($11) & easy app to use for recording to WAV or a compressed format.

I recommend using TotalRecorder to record to WAV and then compress to a VBR MP3 with Lame.

If any clean up needs to be done, do it on the WAV (Syntrillium's CoolEdit, $60, is good for this) before compression.

The part number for the RadioShack preamp is: 970-1018; costs $25 new. NB some turntables (like the sub $150 Sony, AudioTechnica, and Denon have builtin preamps).

4. Mark Shannon

Thnx...

well, buying software seems to be out of the question, as I am only 16...and don't really want to buy any software (you know, the whole limited income thing)...

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if your tt has a built in amp, then you would connect it to a regular "line-level" input - essentially any input other than the phono.

6. Mark Shannon

7. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Mark bk,

NB, or more properly n.b., is an abbreviation for nota bene which is a common Latin expression used to draw attention to what follows.

On the preamp issue. Most of the built-in preamp (either on turntable or receiver) are not very good but all the turntable preamps can be bypassed so you can connect to the phono input. I would not exclude any 'tables because they had a preamp (that these 'tables aren't very good is a separate issue)

What's your budget so I can give you some specific recommendations?

For software, if you don't want to spend any money check your system to see if you have a serviceable package. Both my sound card (Voyetra Audiostation) and CDRW drive (Nero WAV Editor) came with WAV recording/editing software that may do the job. Then compress the WAV with Lame (free).

you can also search for free software: Steinberg Cubasis InWired, Audacity, ProTools, MusicMatch.

Sathyan

8. Mark Shannon

9. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

10. Mark Shannon

11. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

They don't have the Optimus 42-2023 at RadioShack in the US so I haven't listened to it. I really doubt the Sony LX250 is $70 CDN better - specs are equivalent. The Optimus is a steal at the price of $100CDN if it is at all tolerable. However, if that $130CDN table is a Technics it will be worth spending the extra $30. Radio Shack has a pretty generous return policy so I'd buy the Optimus while its on sale and test it.

The problem with many cheap record players is they skip excessively on used vinyl (and I'm not going to buy new vinyl at $30 a pop), spin a the wrong speed/evenly, break in normal usage due to poor quality (that Sony has a notoriously bad reputation for build quality). Often these cannot be adjusted by the end user.

Look for the following:
    1. tracking - does it skip excessive on old vinyl (you will need to do some cleaning of LP's with DiscWasher or the like in any case)
    2. stereo channel separation - on well-recorded vinyl (Blue Note, Deutsche Grammophon, Mercury Living Presence) can you form a mental picture of where the ensemble's instruments are or are they moving about
    3. preamp - are transitions to highs and lows smooth (Bach Fugues or Brandenburg Concerti would be good for testing); is there sufficient gain
    4. clarity - is there excessive rumbling particularly on quiet passages (use chamber music or acoustic jazz/blues ensembles)
    5. natural sound - try a spoken word or female jazz vocalist (whatever the equivalent of Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, or Norah Jones was 30 years ago), does it sound natural?
    6. steady speed - cut a piece of cardboard (like a LP cover) 12" in diameter and poke a hole at the center. with a ruler draw a radius line from the center to the edge. place on the platter, switch on the table, don't use the needle, after a couple minutes of rotation time it to see how consistent the speed is
    7. build quality - try to assess if it will fall apart - leave it turning for a few days
    8. cueing - can the tonearm be cueued w/o scratching the record. on used players i've found the cueing lever the most often part to be broken

one other thing - ask your parents to evaluate - they will know what its supposed to sound like. I (age 25) like you have grown up on CD's and expect a certain sound which vinyl just does not produce. You need to spend US$500+ to come close so don't compare to CD's.

-Sathyan

NP Tina Arena - Don't Ask

12. Mark Shannon

13. Mark Shannon

**SORRY, POSTED TWICE BY ACCIDENT**

14. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

15. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

I'm not sure if I misunderstood some of the thread--

Why wouldn't you just use the phono jack on your receiver (which you said you have), then use a line out from the receiver to the audio card's line in? [​IMG]

Also, my CD-RW came with the ubiquitous Adaptec (now Roxio) Easy CD-Creator, which had a special software filter for recording noisy analog sources, like LPs. I never tried it, as I traded my Technics turntable for a cord of firewood about 7 years ago (true). [​IMG]

16. Mark Shannon

17. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

18. Mark Shannon

Don't know if anyone's still reading this thread....

just want to update what I said earlier.... the TT I found at a local electronics store (for $130CDN) is not Technics...it's Pioneer...

Is Pioneer a good brand for this type of stuff?

19. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

good time as any to resurrect an old thread

new equipment available: USB Turntable [​IMG]