Recording streaming audio

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

One of the local radio stations runs a great series (The Ongoing History of New Music with Alan Cross for those that are interestedhttp://www.edge.ca/station/ongoing_h...ll=6743&pge=1#) and I've often thought that it'd be great to record for commuting. They just started putting up archived shows, but the problem is that they're all streaming audio. I'd like to find a decent (free if possible) stream recorder to capture these for the mp3 player. Ideally, I'd like to be able to schedule recordings of a URL.

Looks like there's a whole pile of applications out there-anyone have any recommendations?

2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I've used Station Ripper a lot and it works great. Seperates each song, creates a database so it won't record the same song twice, allows you to purchase the music you just heard, gets album art. I've only used it with Shoutcast, but apparently it works with other stations. Not all are compatible, but the software is free so no harm in trying.

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

If you have access to a Mac, Audio Hijack and Audio Hijack Pro will do all this and more.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Check out Total Recorder. It has a scheduled recording feature and can be scheduled to open your streaming player to a certain URL at a specific time, then record the stream for the amount of time you specify.