What's new

Recording shows off Encore - Studios snooze, they lose! (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Starting next month, Encore Action starts running Time Tunnel. If these are complete and remastered, I will record them to DVD, thus eliminating my need to buy the show, should it ever come out. Encore's quality is excellent, they only insert their bug for a few seconds every once in a while. I've recorded Combat this way as well as Green Hornet, Gunsmoke and Night Gallery. The Combats are timesped, but complete and the other shows all are complete. Its not like a TV Land or a Hallmark Channel, which cuts shows to shreds. They only run a limited amount of series but what they do run is great.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
by next month do you mean june?
i just looked at the entire mkonth
and couldnt find a listing for
time tunnel and a search doesnt find
any reference to time tunnel.
i hope your right i would love to watch this again.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Encore Action did purchase the rights to Time Tunnel (it was part of a big Fox package that included a lot of movies, plus Green Hornet and The Big Valley series). But although it has been posted elsewhere that it starts on June 4, it does not appear on their June website schedule.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I spoke to someone there today and they claim June 4 is accurate and the website is wrong.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Does anybody know when or if The Big Valley will start? Will it be on The Western Channel? I would love to be able to record these in good quality and, best of all, uncut!! It'd be great to be able to throw away all of my tapes of the mangled episoded from The Hallmark Channel!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I can think of three strikes against it:

1) Network Bug. Are you prepared to live with the studio logo in the corner?

2) Edited. More cuts=more time for commercials=$$$$

3) It'll never look as good as a DVD from the broadcast masters.

So use it as a method for the moment, but to replace a studio release? Unlikely.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I would never use it to replace a studio release. However, I recorded all of the one hour black and white Gunsmoke episodes off The Western Channel and:

1) They are uncut--each episode runs 50 minutes, also no commercials.

2) Their network bug isn't nearly as intrusive as a lot of other networks. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think it appears during the entire episode.

3) I was amazed at how good the Gunsmoke episodes look! Of course, the quality is a slightly lower after you've recorded it, but the broadcast quality is at least twice as good as I've ever seen on tv before, at least as far as Gunsmoke. I had seen some episodes of The Avengers on one of the Encore or Starz channels, and they looked terrible.

Like I said, I would always buy a studio release but I'm not really counting on seeing The Big Valley on DVD anytime soon. I think we'll probably see Gunsmoke at some point, although I wonder how far they'll get seeing as the show ran for 20 seasons. There's sort of three distinct phases-the first six seasons are black and white half-hour episodes, the next five seasons are black and white one-hour episodes, and the final nine seasons are color one-hour shows. I'm really happy to have been able to get the five seasons in the middle from The Westerns Channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks