Recording Satellite Feed on VCR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Br, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

I currently receive cable TV feed directly into my VCR. Since I don't have any premium channels, there's no cable box. The beauty of this setup is that I can record any channel via the VCR while watching something else on the TV (incl PIP capability). Once I go to DIRECTV, I believe I will lose this flexibility.

What's the best way to record on a VCR with satellite feed? Will I have to record the channel I am watching? How can I preset a VCR to record something, will I have to leave the satellite receiver on and set to the desired channel? Will the VCR then only record from channel 3/4 (4 in my case?

I was hoping not to incur any additional cost for a TiVo type system. Your help is truly appreciated.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bob,

You don’t have to loose your current flexibility when you switch to Direct TV. The reason that you are able to have PIP, record one show and watch another, etc. with cable TV is because you have two tuners: One in the VCR, and one in the television.

Thus to retaining this flexibility with Direct TV it will require two satellite tuners.

Regarding satellite recording, the best way to do it is via the VCR’s input jacks, not the RF input. The satellite receiver will send only a mono signal from its RF output.

Timeshifting with Direct TV is not a problem. The sat receiver can be programmed to turn on at a certain time and switch to the appropriate channel. At the same time it will turn on the VCR and engage it’s record function. The sat receiver does this with an IR repeater.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean I would need an additional LNB to feed the second tuner? Since I am going with a two-room system now, is there some way I could feed off the second room or am I better off with three?

Bob

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bob,
    Sorry, but I don’t know enough about the ins and outs of DSS to tell you. It would probably be best to post these questions at the Audio/Video Sources Forum.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

If you must have simultaneous view / record, it would have to be a dual LNB model. DSS has many variations/generations of its product. If you tried to buy a receiver on the used market, you run the risk that DTV won't activate if they run the serial number, only then discovering it was previously owned by someone who skipped out of paying their last month's bill.

I can only receive one DTV channel at a time, but many popular channels run the same show several times a week, so I really don't have that many conflicts.

6. Kent Turner

Kent Turner Auditioning

Wayne,
    Thanks for your reply. Does that mean I would need an additional LNB to feed the second tuner? Since I am going with a two-room system now, is there some way I could feed off the second room or am I better off with three?
    Bob
    Bob if you have more than two receivers in your home you will need a multiswitch.
    If you currently have two receivers and want to add a 3rd to get PIP on your television you will need a 3 in 4 out multiswitch.
    If you have an HDTV and want Hi-Def from DTV you will need an 18x24" dish. this would be the simplest way to get what you are looking for. The new 18x24's have a built in multiswitch with 4 outputs. You could stack two DTV RX's and use two ports from the LNB for thos two RX's and the third port would be for the other room you have. You would still have one unused port for later use.
    If you have anymore questions regarding satellites I would be happy to answer them. You may email me kent@telecominstalls.com
    Kent Turner
    Hughes HNS-ASC certified
    SBCA Level 3 certified
    Starband Level 2 certified
    Direcway certified

7. Mike*Gillgannon

Mike*Gillgannon Auditioning

It's also possible to change channels on a satellite or cable black box with a universal remote that features timed macros. All the decent ones do this nowadays. You can have the same macro turn on and run the VCR.

mike