Recording questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alex Kuch, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Alex Kuch

Alex Kuch Extra

Hey guys, you probably have been asked this before but I can't get a straight answer from anyone at the retail stores. My question is if I were to record for example the simpsons one night for 30 minutes. If I decide not to finalize the disc, can I record another episode of the simpsons the next night where I left off from the previous night on the disc so the first hour would be taken up. is this possible on a panasonic dvd recorder or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    As far as I know, yes.

My player (an LG) well allow you to burn mulitiple titles onto a DVD. That DVD well not play on other players until finalized, but you can access the titles with the player you burned them on. Once the disc is full, you can finalize it and it should be playable on all players.

I've been doing during what I can "The RG Archiving Event", in which I am transfering all my VHS collection to DVD. What I do is copy a 6hour tape to the hard drive, and then break it up so that each givin program is a title. I than edit out all the comercials. Since I typically watch DVDs on the recorder, I burn them 2 ways:

1. Combine 4hrs (I'm using LQ mode that gives you 4hrs worth of video, compared to 1hr in HQ, 2 hr in SQ and 6hrs in EQ, I find that its pretty similar to the quality of the tapes themselves.) worth of titles into one title to burn while I sleep. The dissadvantage here is that I can't chapter stop to a certain episode, as my player doesn't let you define chapter stops, unless you record onto a DVD+RW, in which you can do this before finalization. I bought 100 DVD-R's on a deal, so I have to live with automatic chapter stops every 10 minutes.

2. Burn an 1hr long title during the day if I know I'm not going to be using the player for a certain time, so that it well be free for when I might want to use it, as opposed to being half way through a 4hr burn. The adavatage here is that each title well be burned onto the disc seperately, allowing you to just pick the title (with 10min chapter stops withen the 60min), as opposed to skipping through 3hrs of video to get to the last one in a combined title burn.

I'd guess that all hard drive DVD recording models are similar. If you were going to get just a burner, I'd recommend spending the extra $ on a hard drive model.

3. Alex Kuch

Alex Kuch Extra

But can you do it on a non-HDD recorder?

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'd presume you can, if it takes -RW media, but since I don't own one, I couldn't guarantee it.

I'd really recommend a HDD/dvd- recorder, much more flexible.