Recording music to hard drive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Dec 17, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Is it possible to do this using Nero Wave Editor? I have a mic run to my sound card input and hear my son playing through the computer speakers. When I adjust Windows (98SE) recording control for the mic, it's adjusted appropriately. But, when I try to record in Wave Editor, just silence.

I'm probably missing some small thing, any ideas? Vince?

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Go into your audio settings...

StartMenu -> Control Panel -> Multimedia

Then in the recording section, click thebutton that has a pic of a MIC on it. It should open up the recording mixer with a bunch of inputs. At the bottom, of each, there should be a box that says SELECT. Then click on the one that corrosponds to the input you are using (i wasnt sure if you were using a COMPUTER mic hooked up to the mic port of your sound card, or a normal mic, rigged to the INPUT port of the card)

Try that, it should do the trick.

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Yep, I had done that and I know it worked since I can hear my son playing through the computer speakers. The problem is when I try recording either through Windows sound recorder or Nero wave editor, they don't detect the sound???

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Are you sure you were in the RECORDING properties and not playback?

Coz i find that even with the recording properties set to somethign else (say MIC), sound still comes out of speakers (from like, LINE IN). There's a PLAYBACK volume control and RECORDING volume control.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Of course, the best way to buy an Alessis MasterLink and record in 88.2 khz on that hard drive.
    That's what I do on professional recordings and the component streets at just around $1,000...
    [​IMG]