Recording HDTV - DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Ritchie, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

Are any of the current DVD Recorders capable of capturing HDTV images? I assume the Panasonic can't tape HD since it doesn't have a component input, does the Phillips down convert the HD images to DVD resolution. The only use I would have for a recorder is to tape HD or Digital Cable shows that I miss. I know they would not look like HD but would they look much better than SVHS? My non HD cable channels don't really look good enough for me to justify buying a DVD recorder.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Nope

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

4. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that the d-vcr's can make HD tapes of OTA HD material through a firewire connection. I believe Samsung has an OTA receiver w/ firewire that can connect to a Panasonic D-VCR.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Current DVD recorders can only record in DVD quality. Right now, if you want to record in HD, you have to use D-VHS.

Can DVD recorders produce an image better than S-VHS? Yes, if set at the 1 or 2 hour speeds. Some would say the 2 hour speed is similar to S-VHS. I think it is a hair better than S-VHS SP.

6. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

Can I record my HD signal on the DVD Recorder at DVD quality? I know the panasonic has no component input so I don't thinks it's possible, the Phillips I know has component in. The problem is that my other digital cable channels aren't DVD quality so unless I can record the HD channels I'm probably better off with SVHS.

Thanks,
    Greg