What's new

Recording HD (1 Viewer)

burmafrd

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Ok. Been an audio/video phile for a long time. Been out of it for a few years and looking to get back in. Have had a Tivo (NON-HD), for some years. had DIRECTV since Feb 95. Did a home theatre before there was a term for it.
So asking the guys and gals who are on the cutting edge NOW for this:

Best way to record HD. Is there a BLU RAY recorder coming soon?

I have a pretty big selection of DVD, and over 100 Laser Discs (told you I have been in it a while). No BLU RAY yet. Have a pretty good Home Theatre (dated but still good, with a Sharp Projector).
What I am looking at will be bought in 2009 probably. So I am looking for basic advice as regards which way to go.

burmafrd

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Would prefer a stand alone unit that just records frankly without being married to SAT or CABLE or even OTA. That is why I was wondering when the BLU RAY recorders would start to show up. A DVR that was not wedded to one system would be of the good- are there any?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

While some of the below stories are dated, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one in the US. You could follow CES in Vegas in the beginning of next Jan. to see if there is a change of heart and any announcements. Many of the recorders in Japan also have a TV tuner built in from what I've seen and Japan I don't believe is scheduled to shift to all digital for about 3 yrs.

Japan says no to Blu-ray, HD DVD recorders for U.S. - CNET News.com

Panasonic: Panasonic DMR-BW900 Blu-ray Recorder Writes to 50GB Dual Layer Discs or a TB of HDD

Sharp's AQUOS BD-HDW20 Blu-ray recorder with 1TB disk: zero-to-numb in just 0.8 seconds - Engadget HD

Sharp to Launch Blu-ray HDTV Recorder

elden

Auditioning
Real Name
alden
Hi, I certainly agree with you. Your advice is really very helpful for us.

Thanks a lot!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

If you really absolutely need one, you can always buy a Japanese one and get a voltage step up converter. I'm not sure by the time you do that with the current value of the US dollar if it would not be more cost effective to go with a PC solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks