What's new

recording from Dish Network (1 Viewer)

Stefan A

Second Unit
I have recently gone from standard cable (using my TV's cable tuner), to Dish Network (with their standard receiver). I went to record a program and discovered that I was unable to program the channels into the VCR. And I also discovered that I could not record a live program and watch a different live program.

I guess many of you are saying "Duh!" right now - but I was not expecting this being used to cable for all these years.

Am I correct in assuming that a standard VCR just isn't too compatable with Satalite? Or have I made some wrong connections?

What are my options of other types of recording systems that would work with Dish Network?

Thanks

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Read your manual for the 301 receiver(I assume that is what you have). It tells you how to automatically turn on your vcr and record a program. It is fairly simple. The vcr always stays on the same input (channel 3 or whatever). It is the receiver that outputs the program to the vcr.

You need to make sure that you are wired properly. Satellite connection to receiver, out to vcr, out to tv.

Your really should have gotten one of the digital video recorders that Dish offers. You would never use your vcr again to record something.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Simply recording from Satalite to VCR is not a problem. I am refering to watching a live program while recording something else.

Stefan

mark alan

Supporting Actor
can't do it with the basic receiver. You need the dual tuner receiver, which is $$$$$.

If you signed up with one of the plans recently, you might want to call back and try to get the 510 digital video recorder. With it, you have the ability to watch something that has been recorded, while recording something else. It is closest you will get to a dual tuner, without spending a lot of money. Plus you will never have to watch a commercial again.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Stefan A

Second Unit
Could I get a second 301 receiver and have one hooked to the TV and one to the vcr?

Stefan

mark alan

Supporting Actor
You would have to run a second line from the satellite, but I expect that you could.

There are some satellite tv forums that can give you more detailed answers than I could. I am sure that there are people on those forums how have done exactly what you thought of.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I believe you should definitely be able to get a second receiver and use that to watch another program, it would just be like a second room receiver except in the same room. :) There will be a $5 extra receiver fee every month though in addition to the cost of another receiver of course.

The one forum that is pretty handy that I sort of lurk every now and then is:

http://www.dbsforums.com/

Like Mark says, with the PVR, I record alot of the shows and watch them on a delayed basis and since you can watch a recorded show while recording a different show, it works for me. What you cannot do is record a show and watch a live show, that would require another tuner and as you've found out, VCRs aren't satellite ready!

I have an older Dish receiver, the 501 which has a small hard drive compared to any of the newer receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks