Recording fo Brahms Requiem?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kevin_Wadsworth, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Kevin_Wadsworth

I'd never heard this piece before singing it 1.5 years ago, and it's quickly moved towards the top of the list of my favorite pieces. The problem is that the recording I bought is fairly poor. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good recording of the piece(in German)? A brief search on Amazon revealed a ton of different choices.

I'd prefer an SACD/DVD-A recording, if one exists, but I'd settle for CD.

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I sang this in college as well, it's one of my favorite works. I'm unfamiliar with any multichannel recordings of this piece, but I own two recordings on CD, both considered to be among the best:

1. The Robert Shaw with Atlanta on Telarc. A modern-instrument recording, with huge, sweeping sound, typical of Telarc.

2. The Gardiner on Philips with period instruments. More intimate and dramatic, with equally fine sound.

Try 'em both, you won't be disappointed!

3. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Here's another vote for Gardiner/Monteverdi Choir/Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique on Philips

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I have the Robert Shaw on Telarc...traded in my Levine/Chicago version for it. I think I like the Levine version better, although I've been told that's heresy. The Penguin guide puts the Gardiner version in first place with a rose, so they liked it too. Penguin also likes Haitink/VPO for a "modern instruments" version. Years ago I had the Bruno Walter version on vinyl but haven't heard it in years - it's possible that it would show up on Sony SACD with the other Walter recordings.