1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Recording FM music... help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kieran Coghlan, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

This Sunday, my local NPR station (KRCB in nor.california www.krcb.org ) is going to be broadcasting a performace of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, for which I was a member of the chorus. I have asked the station if I can get a recording of it, and they said no, my only option is to record it myself at home when they broadcast it (no online streaming either, for this station).
    Ultimately, I would like to transfer this to a CD for keepsake. So, the options I have, as I see it are:
    1) record with standard audio cassette, then transfer to pcm/cd via computer's sound card (sound blaster live!)
    2) record with VHS (heard this is better than cassette?) then transfer to pcm/cd via computer's sound card.
    3) record directly to hard drive via sound card.
    #3 seems to be the best chance for the highest quality, but also the highest risk. I've heard that recording real-time audio to digital can be problematic, especially for long files. This one will be about 60 minutes or 605 MB. I may be able to break it up into two ~30 minute parts, as there was a 30 second pause between the 2nd and 3rd movements when we performed it. My computer has a 7200 rpm hdd, 256mb ram, and a 1gHz AMD t-bird/athlon cpu.
    #1 is the safest bet, but lowest quality.
    #2 I've never done before and not sure if my VCR is capable. (it's just a plain-jane $100 Stereo JVC VHS box, bought about a month or two ago.)
    Any suggestions, warnings, hints, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to mis out on getting a good recording of this performance! Thanks...
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

2. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

#2 would give you great quality if you are using a Hi-Fi VCR. Hi-FI give great analog sound reproduction compared to Normal VCR recordings.
    #3 is the best possible solution if you know what you're doing. My advice is to start experimenting right now before broadcast time to see sound quality and compression and how long it takes to get another file going.
    Regular audio tape is the worst quality but so is radio because they have to broadcast in the green so they don't in advertantly cause distortion in the radio, resulting in a lower frequency. That and that annoying hiss that radio sometimes gives.
    But those are my two cents. Good luck in recording and congratulations on performing Betthovan's greatest symphony.

3. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Thanks for the congratulations. The concert (the season opener for the Santa Rosa (CA) Symphony's 2001/02 season) was a wonderful tribute to the victims of 9/11/01, and the 9th is a wonderful tribute to the triumph of good over evil, and to brotherhood among all mankind. "Alle Menschen werden Brüder..." [​IMG]
    My VCR is a HiFi VCR... I think I'll set the timer for this as a backup anyway!
    I'm going to try the direct to pcm route... I don't know that I'll be able to break up the recording though. I just hope that it doesn't crash or something mid-concert!
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

4. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Do keep in mind that not all hi-fi VCRs are capable of recording audio-only. Some will require that there also be video in addition to the audio, so you'll want to experiment with this first to verify that you can make it work. Presumably you could simply hook the L/R audio out from a tuner or receiver to the L/R audio in on the VCR, and then hook the video out from another video source (2nd VCR, DVD, TV with video out, etc) to the VCR's video input.