Recording CDs on my computer to play in a CD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I bought a new IBM Thinkpad a few months ago. The computer comes with a DVD/CD writeable drive. What is the best way to record CDs on it in order to play in my stereo system or in my discman? Forgive my ignorance, but I have never burned a CD so I am really unfamiliar with this all. I have a Denon DCM 370 -- can this player even play CDs burned on a computer? IS there any program I should download off the internet to burn CDs? My computer (I believe) has 2 IBM programs to do this -- IBM RecordNow and IBM DLA -- if anyone knows anything about these, I would appreciate the help!

Additionally, are there any places on the internet where music can be found, a la Napster?

Thanks,

Allan

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Need more info. Are you trying to convert MP3's or do a custom mix from regular CDs or what?

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

4. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

You have to find out if you dvd and discman can play mp3 files. Look in the owners manuals. There is a good chance they cant. If not, make sure when you record one, you record the songs in "Wav" format and not "MP3" format.

5. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Brian-

To clarify, I am looking to download MP3 from the internet and (somehow) burn them on my CD drive on my laptop and then play them on either my stereo system CD player (Denon DCM 370) and my discman (if this is possible)?

Thanks again,

Allan

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

two different scenarios here:
    1. you want to copy mp3 files to a disc, then play the disc in your other cd players
    2. you want to convert mp3 files to .wav files
    if it's scenario 1, all you need to do is make sure your other cd players can decode mp3 files
    if it's scenario 2, you'll need to download the mp3 file, connvert it to a .wav file (there are many app's that do this...just to go cnet.com or zdnet.com and do a search), then copy the .wav file to a cd.
    if you have other questions about mp3s, ripping, or anything else, try posting in the pc forum here. i've had pc questions and have always gotten good answers.
    [edit - oops! didn't realize this was moved... [​IMG] )

7. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Why would you put a wav file directly on a CD? A (normal) CD player won't be able to play that. The files need to be .cda files.

Peter

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

You must take the MP3 files and convert them to .wav files. Winamp can be used for that. Just go into preferences and choose ".wav out diskwriter" plugin or something like that. Of course, you won't hear the song when you press play on winamp, instead, the song will be written to whatever directory you have choosen. Next you have to use a program like Easy CD Creator and choose MUSIC PROJECT. Make a MUSIC CD by compiling the tracks and burning a MUSIC CD. You can choose track-at-once or disc-at-once but be sure to choose close the disc. If you are able to change between ISO 9660 and Joliet or are asked to choose these before the burn, then chances are, you're in the wrong mode and are burning a data CD. Data CD's don't play on CD players. Make a MUSIC CD. I'm doing this with some of my CD's to make compilations for use on the crosstrainer at the GYM [​IMG] Later I want to do the same thing, but with MP3's so I'll have a huge # of songs on each CDR/W.

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

nero will do exactly what you want.

10. John Salley

John Salley Auditioning

All this talk brings me back to when I was a newbie. I have (painfully) learned much over the years about making music CD's.

I used to have .MP3 files, convert them to .wav, and burn them to a audio CD using Adaptec's EZ-CD Creator. This is the more painful and time consuming way to go.

NOW, I use a program called Nero 5.0 (I think they are currently on 5.5). Nero had a "wizard" which asks what type of CD you want to make (data CD, audio CD, Video CD, etc..) If you want to make a audio CD, you drag-n-drop your .mp3 files into your "new CD" window. Once you fill up a CD to your liking, you press "Burn CD" and Nero converts the .mp3 file on-the-fly and makes a perfectly good audio CD. A CD holds about 70-80 minutes of music. If you want to share the .mp3 files themselves with a friend, you can make a "data CD", which is just that, the files themselves. Average .mp3 file is 4 megs, and you can fit 650-700 megs on a CD, so you are looking at about 150 files.

ANother advantage to Nero (over Adaptec and the many others) is that I have yet to encounter a CD player that wont play the CD burned using Nero. I have encountered difficulties with other burning software,

Hope that helps,

John Salley

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yes, nero will do what you want.
    It'll convert the MP3 files on the fly, so you dont need to convert anything. Great program [​IMG] Just drag the MP3 files from the HD window, and drop it into the CD window...

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I never could get nero to work...it would always crash hard. I use Adaptec's ez cd creator that came with my burner. Put a blank cd in and it asks what you want to make, music cd, copy a cd etc...Select music cd and it opens up in that mode. Find what mp3's you want and select them to add to the cd inside the app...select go (or burn or whatever the command is to start burning) and it converts them for you and burns them for you then ejects the cd when its done. How difficult is that?

13. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Nero will do this Allan. You can download a demo version from Nero's website
    Of course, all the MP3s you download will be completely legal [​IMG]

14. SamC

SamC Agent

Just quickly, as most have stated, the latest versions of most CD-R software will these days automatically convert an MP3 to CD Audio.

The two most popular are Adaptec's EZ CD and Nero. With both of these you simply drag the MP3 file to the blank image (after selecting an Audio disc) and then burn.

15. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure that Adaptec either was bought by or changed their name to Roxio. So if you're looking to buy some software, any references to Adaptec should be replaced by Roxio.

16. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Your best bet for CD-Ripping is Exact Audio Copy, which is by far the best ripper available to the general public, and it's free.

For MP3 compressiondecompression, LAME is the best, and it's free as well.

Remember, CD-Audio files (also known as RedBook) must be 44.1 KHz (44,100 samples per second), 16-Bit, Stereo.