What's new

Recording CD from phonograph (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have a Creative Audigy 2 platinum sound card. I am trying to record some of my old phonograph records onto CD. Trouble is that when I hook up my turntable (which is a nice Pioneer linear tracking pletter) to the line in on my PC the audio is very very low. I have to crank everything up just to get it to register - and barely at that!

Does anyone have any experience at this sort of thing? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You're probably going to need a phono preamp stage in between the record player output and the audio card input.

Does your receiver have a phono input? If so, you'd use that for the phono preamp stage.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
NM - bought a $39 memorex pream and all is well now.
Thanks

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Other option is to feed your phono input to a traditional integrated amp, or amp-preamp, or receiver (you get the idea) and the computer into record outs on the amp. I just treat my PC as if it were just another piece of HI-FI recording equipment. Unfortunately a lot of new amps don't have a proper phone input so you still may have to get a phone pre-amp.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
So if your phono is hooked up to your regular amp, you should be able to just hook one of the unused outputs of the amp to the soundcard? Whenever I've tried that I get all sorts of noise and buzzing. Ditto for trying to pass audio from the soundcard to either the tape deck or MD burner.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you connect the turntable to the phono input, then use the receiver's/preamp's tape output to connect to the audio card.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
for $39 the memorex preamp has worked splendidly without me having to get out the old bulky equipment and running excess cables everywhere.

I thought it odd that there is no grounding needed - but the sound is excellent.

or, to put it into context --

I (pop!) thought it odd (zerp) that (sssnp) that there is (pop) not (crackle) grounding needed - but (zwif) the sound is (pop!) excellent. (shhh, z shhh, z shhh, z shhh).

(the record I was recording is very old. Looking forward to running it through some filtering software)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The ground wire isn't always necessary. You have to try it both ways to see what works best for you. You can even try connecting the ground wire to the outer connection of the phono plug/jack.

I have a Rotel phono preamp myself. Sounds sweet!

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I've been playing with that all week...

Try Majix Audio Cleaning Lab 4.0 for clean-up.

There is a demo on the net.

It seems to work great. I had it running (at least the demo) in minutes.

I think the key is to capture the vinyl sound unprocessed with good saturation and 'clean it' post-capture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks