Recording a DishNetwork program while watching an OTA feed.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a Dish 501 and I'm trying to confirm if I should be able to watch any OTA programming while I am recording something on the 501's PTV feature. I do not subscribe to the OTA channels through dish and rely on my outside antenna for OTA. Normally I can watch the Dish feed on Video 2 and the OTA stuff on "TV" by hitting the "tv/video" button to switch the output to the RF to the pass-through antenna Coax cable. However, it didn't seem to happen the last time I was recording something... I couldn't get the OTA feed from my antenna even after hitting the TV/video button a million times... Is that a bug or is that normal? I would think that I should be able to watch the regular OTA channels as the 501 can always get the Dish channels through the satellite feed...
    Jay

2. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

you mentioned the tv/video button on the tv, but not the tv/dish button on your receiver. Don't you have to "disengage" the dish signal to pass thru the OTA?
    on that note...
    I only have lowly 3xxx reciever, but I split my OTA signal to go to the TV and VCRs.. I don't even bother with hooking it up to the dish reciever.
    OTA is delivered via COAX to vcr1, vcr2 and tv.
    Dish signal is RCA/S-Video to vcr1, then vcr1 to TV via RCA/S-Video.
    ------------------
    "I got kissed... and, and, and I shoplifted."

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks, I was considering doing that as a Plan B if I truly cannot watch OTA while recording a program via the 501. Whether that's a bug or a feature, I haven't an idea.
    Hope somebody knowledgeable chimes in before I try to contact E*.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks again PienSavaca, I think I'm going to do that if I can scrounge up another composite cable...
    Hook up the antenna feed directly to my VCR then to my TV
    Hook up the 501 via composite to my VCR, unfortunately, my VCR is a cheapo one and it only has 1 front A/V jacks so I guess I'll have to live with the unsightly cables out in front. My 501 is hooked up to my TV already via composite RCA cables... My small TV's S-video input is already used by my DVD player.
    Sounds like a plan..
    Jay
    ------------------
    Wanna help?

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Cool, I did a little rewiring last night. Originally, I thought that you could record OTA stuff on the 501, but I later found out that was pointless. Makes one wonder why is there a pass-through on the antenna feed on the unit then, does it actually do anything?? I basically moved the antenna feed back from the 501 and hooked it up directly to my VCR, took off the RF output from the 501 since I use the composite video output completely. I would of connected the 2nd set of composite outputs from the 501 to the VCR but my extra set of composite RCA cables aren't long enough but then I've never recorded anything off the 501 to VCR yet so not sure if I really need to do this. In a bind, I can always move the RCA's off the TV to the VCR if I need to copy something..
    Works great too..
    Jay
    ------------------
    Wanna help?

6. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I run my ota & satellite signal to a channel combiner then into a splitter to feed 3 other tvs. That way we can watch whatever we want where ever we want.
    ------------------
    May God Guide and Guard the USA!