Recordable dvd player question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleI, Jan 16, 2003.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Do DVD recorders allow you to record from a VHS VCR to the dvd recorder, say wedding footage?

If so, is the quality then good on playback of standard dvd players?

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Yes, you can record from VHS easily. In my experience, the quality using the 1 or 2 hour speeds will result in a recorded DVD that looks as good as the original tape.

Using a machine with a firewire connection (such as the Philips DVDR985) will result in the best picture. I think one of the newer Panasonic units has this feature also.

With the vast majority of DVD players made since 2000, you will have no trouble playing back DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+RW discs (depending on which recorder or drive you choose) The cost of the blanks for the single use DVD-R and DVD+Rs are down to under $2.00 each in bulk packaging and the erasable DVD+RWs are about double that. Prices on the recorders and media contiinue to drop each month.

3. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

A final followup: Would it then be possible to add audio over the video footage AS it's being recorded (similar to a director's commentary) or would that have to be done on the master VHS tape beforehand?

Dale

4. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Dale

5. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Whether you can dub sound would depend on the recorder specs. I don't think you can on the Panasonic E-20 or E-30.

6. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dale,

If you are recording using a Firewire connection I don't think it is possible to add an audio track. But if you are using regular AV cables you could use a small mixer and easily add an audio track.

Just reread your first note and since you are talking about dubbing from VHS you probably won't be using firewire, so yes you can add an audio track but I think you will need an external mixer at this point.

Glenn