What's new

Recordable CD-R's...Data or Music? (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm relatively new at burning cd's on my pc so forgive the question if it's been asked a zillion times. I did a search and nothing showed up so...here goes.

Is there a difference in regards to compatibility in playback if using CD-R's that say DATA CD-R's and use them for music burning? And what's the difference in blank cd's that say for "Computer Writers Only", "Data CD-R's", "CD-R's for Music"?????

Reason I ask this is I just burned a pretty cool Star Wars soundtrack compilation cd. I used a TDK 80 min Data CD-R. I used those since I initially got those for movie trailers, pictures etc...Well it plays fine on my pc, dvd player (pioneer 414), but my car cd player has trouble reading it. You can hear it spinning...trying to find the tracks I guess then finally it plays. It took almost 5 minutes to play this afternoon. Once it plays it is ok as long as you don't skip tracks!

I don't think I've ever had trouble playing Music CD-R's if my memory is correct. My car is a 1999 model if that helps.

Thanks for the patience with reading this thread!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
You can use regular Data CDrs to burn Audio CDs on your computer. the CDRS FOR MUSIC are for External-deck CDBurners tha thookup to a stereo system. They cost more because thers a fee on them. The MusicCDR has a flag on it that tells the player I AM A MUSIC CDR, THIS GUY HAS PAID THE FEE TO COPY MUSIC. But on computer CDBurnrers (internal or external), they dont need this flag to burn audio CDs, so normal 'data' CDs will do.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks. Does the writing speed have anything to do with difficulty playing back the recorded disc?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Since my burner is only 4x, i dunno if high burning speeds will affet playback. However, i have heard that ppl who burn at max speeds sometimes experience skipping in their discs. To fix this, they just burn at a lower speed.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks NickSo. I think my burner writes at a max of 48x. I will try a demo with a slower speed and see what happens. Thanks again.

John Watson

Screenwriter
There was a discussion on this here (but in the MUSIC AREA) a few Weeks ago.
I'm gonna try and put the link to it here
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=CDR
But as I just found it myself by doing a search of CD-R in that area, you could try it as well.
PS - I have a 99 car with its original CD player, and have taken my recorded cds (CD-R, not CD-RW) on the road with no problems.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks John, I'll check out that link. I went out and bought some music cd-r's and still no luck with the car cd. I've noticed this issue the past few months in my car with other cd's too. I did a quick inventory and all the early recorded cd's that I played in my car were not multi-speed discs...if that has anything to do with it. I think it's my car cd player.
Thanks for the link and I'll give it a look.
:)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If you have trouble playing a certain brand of CD-R in your car, try another brand. Some players "get along" better with some brands of CD-R than others. For example, the Sony changer in my car will play Sony, Fuji and Imation discs fine but it stutters and skips on some no-name brands and Verbatim (not a no-name brand!). The same discs that stutter in my car play fine in all my other players. Sometimes burning at a slower speed helps, sometimes it doesn't, but the brand of disc seems to have the biggest impact on the performance in my car.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks