What's new

Record From Satellite box to DVD (1 Viewer)

carlosh11934

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos Hinojosa
I have DirectTV satellite service, but no DirectTV recorder. What I want to do is record TV shows and put them onto a DVD. My computer has a video input card and a DVD recorder. I've output the signal from the HD satellite box to the PC, but the results are aweful. What can I do to get reasonably good DVD recordings (doesn't have to be HD, just DVD quality)? Should I completely forget the PC path and buy a DVD recorder. Do I need to get the DirectTV recorder? Can someone please help?:frowning:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How are you connecting your sat receiver to your PC? S-video will provide the best picture for standard definition programming.

I use a cheap DVD recorder from Wal-Mart to archive shows that I want. I also have three DirecTV DVRs as well. I don't like to watch TV without using a DVR. In fact, I'm not even sure when my favorite TV shows even come on any more. I just set up my DVRs and forget about them. They all do a great job. When I want to save something long term, I play it from the DVR and record it to the DVD recorder.

-Robert

carlosh11934

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos Hinojosa
Robert (or anybody else who wants to comment), I use the S-Video connection. Is it possible to buy a DirecTV DVR so that I don't have to pay the monthly fee? Is it possible to just record the S-Video output from the HD channel selector box (I know that's harder) into the Walmart type DVD recorder and get the same quality as the setup you described?

Carlos

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the s-video out of my DVR to go directly into my DVD recorder. Most of the time it is an HD program that the receiver automatically downconverts to 480i through the s-video connection. The quality is surprisingly good. If I were a frequent recorder, I would have purchased a higher quality recorder.

Another option is to get the DirecTV HD DVR and connect a 2TB SATA disk array to it. That will give you 1,300 hours of standard def programming, 330 hours of HD programming or a combination of both. DVR Upgrade.

-Robert

pankarty

Grip
Real Name
pankarty
Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks