Recommended surrounds for 7.1 (long)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brian_Vill, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Brian_Vill

Brian_Vill Auditioning

Sep 11, 2003
    Greetings to all forum members! This is my first post ever on this forum, although I have been lurking for quite some time now.

I have Klispch RF-3II's as my mains, an older Kenwood center speaker, an older pair of floor-standing Sony's as my side surrounds, and cheap Sony bookshelfs for my rears. These are all running on my Pioneer VSX-43TX.

The distance from my side surrounds is almost twice as long as the distance from the tv(mitsu WS-55819) to my couch (which is right up against the back wall). The rear bookshelf speakers are about 3-4 ft. above the couch pointing toward the front wall. I know I have alot of the "what not to do's" when it comes to a home theater but I am planning to upgrade my surrounds and my center to match the mains that I currently have.

My questions are:
    1. Would bipolar speakers (RS-35) be the best choice for my sides considering the dimensions in my living room? Or would the bookshelves (RB-35) be a better choice?
    2. Since the couch is right up against the back wall, should I install in-ceiling speakers(RCR-3) pointing down at the couch? Should I install in-wall speakers (RCW-3) closer to the listening position (maybe ~2ft. above couch)? Or would it be wiser to go for the bookshelves toed in at about the same height?
    3. What is the general consensus on these speakers from the Klipsch reference line?

I would greatly appreciate any help from the forum, and I am also always open to other alternative suggestions to my situation.
  2. MarkMaximus

MarkMaximus Stunt Coordinator

Jul 5, 2003

I think the general consensus to these types of questions is try them all! If you can find a vendor that is willing to let you audition all these speakers and best scenario they send you a shipping label for the ones you don't want, worst scenario you have to pay shipping, but you have the exact setup you want! I know that there are many Klipsch supporters here at the forum, but for my personal taste they are a little bright. Once again, its all personal taste, the best advice for comparing speakers at the same price point is, try them all. Best of luck.