What's new

Recommended Speakers for $300 (1 Viewer)

Donovan M

Auditioning
I'm trying to find a decent home theater speaker system for a second room for no more than $300. The room is only 12' x 20', but with a listenin area of aproximately 12 x 12. It will primarily be used for movies and video games (xbox). The receiver used will be a Sony STR-DE725. I've been looking at the JBL SCS-150 and the Cerwin Vega AVS-632, both of which comes complete with center channel, fronts, surrounds and subwoofer. I'm able to get either of them both for $300 or less. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie to this forum, so I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered a thousand times. javascript:smilie(':)')
smile

Javier_A

Auditioning
Although I haven't yet received them, I ordered the Acoustic Research HC6 system for $299 + $45 shipping from etronics.com. It has many good reviews and good comments in this forum. They used to run for $799 a few months ago, so definitely a good buy!

AaronJB

Second Unit
I've been very impressed with my new Wharfedale WHM-2 bipole surround speakers. $99 (pair) at bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com. More than reasonable price for speakers that sound like they should cost more.

Donovan M

Auditioning
Javier - I looked up the AR HC6. Theses sound to be pretty good based on reviews and look very nice. I saw them at the Factory Clearance Center website for $199 (refurbished).

Howdy,
I have owned a set of the Klipsch Quintets, and have been quite happy. I think there around $350.00 a set. You can find them for less if you do some research. IMHO, for micros you cnt touch them for sound quality at there price point.

Hank

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
Onkyo HTS500. Get them at circuit city/best buy for like $250, or buy them at onkyo.com refurbed for less than $200.

Javier_A

Auditioning
Donovan, that looks like a great find on the Factory Clearance Center website, although I just checked and it seems to be out of stock. Although I've bought refurbished products a few times, I'm not sure if there are any cons on buying refurbished speakers.

As someone else mentioned, the Onkyo speakers are supposed to be good. You can also get the replacement to the SKS-HT550, the SKS-HT510 (they are supposed to be about the same), for $279 at J&R. These are 6.1 instead of 5.1, if you prefer that. Given your measurements, it sounds you might not have the couch right on the wall, so 6.1 might work out for you.

Good luck, I'll be getting the HC6 on Thursday!

Donovan M

Auditioning
Javier - let me know how you like your speakers when you get them. I'm really considering this set, especially if I can get them at the price I mentioned - once they are back in stock.

Also, thanks everyone for your help. You've given me a lot more options to choose from. I let you all know what I ended up getting.

Javier_A

Auditioning
Hey Donovan, did you end up buying any speakers yet? Well, if you did, I just hope that you bought the Acoustic Research HC6 because these babies are hot!!! Now seriously, let me tell you, I was able to play with them over the weekend, hooked them up to the new receiver, positioned them properly, and then calibrated everything with my sound level meter. Once everything was set up, I popped my LOTR DVD in the player, and I was immediately amazed!!! For $299, I cannot think of any other speakers that can match this. Even for $799, which is their list price, they would be hard to beat. Then I also played some music, which I have to say was less impressive initially, I thought the sound was a little "empty", if that makes any sense. I guess I sort of expected that, compared to my own Paradigm Monitors, simply because of the huge difference in size, the size and number of drivers on each speaker. Well, after playing music the entire weekend, I could swear that they sound better now, so I think they just need some breaking in before you get the full potential, as with basically any set of speakers.

In short, I would very highly recommend these speakers while they last! Go buy them quick before they are all gone. I hope that helps, let me know if you have questions.

Javier_A

Auditioning
Oh, and I forgot to mention that these speakers are pretty good looking too! The piano black finish is better than I imagined, great compact size, they seem to be made of wood as opposed to some sort of plastic at this price range, and they also have removable grills, also not common for this price. The only complaint I have is that the speakers don't take banana plugs.

Donovan M

Auditioning
Javier - I still haven't gotten any yet. I've decided on the AR HC6'S, but I'm still waitiing for Factory Clearance to get more in. They said it would be a week before they get more in - that's what they told me last week also. Anyway, I'm glad you like your speakers. I'm trying maintain my patience and wait for Factory Clearance to get more in only because of the price. However, the waiting is getting difficult - I may have to cough up the extra $100 and get them elsewhere, especially after your remarks. Thanks again for the update. I'll let you know when I finally pull the trigger.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Javier_A,

I was wondering if you got your HC6's and whether or not you liked them. Glad to see they worked out for you.

Another vote for and user of the AR HC6's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks