What's new

Recommended speaker cable for surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Rui

Auditioning
Hi,
Which cable (width, brand, model) do you recommend for two Energy Take 2 surround speakers, bearing in mind that this cable should be 36 feet (11 meter) long. Are Monster cables M14 and M12 any good for this purpose. In case they are, should I use 12 gage instead of 14 gage?
Thank you in advance.
Rui
------------------

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't break the bank on cable for your surrounds.
Either of the cables you mentioned would work just fine for surround.
Personally, I'd go with somebody other than Monster....there are comperable brands for much less $$.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
You might check Home Depot or Lowe's. I was able to get 12 gauge wire at Lowe's for $.36/foot. Probably will work just as good as Monster Cable.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Rui: several speaker sites recommend the following gauge of wire for the length of run:
0-10 feet: 16 ga
10-20 feet: 14 ga
> 20 feet: 12 ga
So you should use 12 ga.
But I dont think you should spend the money for Monster for that long of a run.
While good speaker wire will make a difference, its a waste of money in your case because:
  • Movies dont send tons of critical/detailed sounds to the rears. So why buy expensive copper for subtile/low-detail sounds?
  • While I like the Energy speakers, they are just not accurate/detailed enough that expensive speaker wire would make a big difference.
So try and find an alternate source for good 12 ga wire. Places like www.partsexpress.com carry "Sound King" for about $0.30/ft. Anything under about $1/foot is ok.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks