Recommended screen size?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by richard_s_ca, Mar 3, 2002.

1. richard_s_ca

richard_s_ca Auditioning

I think it's time to upgrade from my 27" Sony. Is there any rule of thumb or simple calculation I can do to determine the optimal screen size for my viewing environment? Seating will be about 8' from the screen so I think something like 60" will be too big. 27" is definitely too small.

I don't want to invest in a 36" direct view (e.g. Sony KB36XBR) or 43" projection (e.g. Hitachi 43UWX) only to find that I should have gone bigger.

TIA

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Hey Richard, welcome to the forum.

From what I have read here, 60" would not be too big. Especially if you are using a Hi-def ready set and a DVD player with progressive scan. I'm sure the big screen contingent will pipe in pretty quickly.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

For your arrangement, a 60" screen is definitely not too big. From 8', 80" is pretty much at the boundary when the screen gets too big and starts to present distracting problems. Generally, you want a viewing angle of around 30-45 degrees, and the 60" screen falls into that area, so it'll be perfect. I'd strongly advise against anything smaller than 50" unless you want to upgrade later.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Richard, my recommendation is always the same: Get the largest screen that (a) you can afford, and (b) you can fit in the room. Eight feet is close, but it's not too close (IMO) if the image is good quality. Bear in mind, though, that many RPTVs will be deeper than your current 27". Be sure to get dimensions on any unit you're considering and make sure that it will indeed fit the space.

M.

5. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Hey Richard I have to agree with Michael on this one. Get the largest size you can afford. I went from a 25" to 27" to a 32" to a 55" RPTV in about two years. Imagine the time and money I would have saved if I just bought the 55" from the start. [​IMG] I sit about 9 feet away from my non-HD set and it looks great so don't be afraid of tryin a larger set. Once you do you will never go back
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

6. Tony Granatelli

Tony Granatelli Stunt Coordinator

Hey Gang,
    I posted this same question to Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. I wish I could find the darn issue!
    The question went something like this: "I read somewhere that you are suppose to sit 2 1/2 diagonals away from a TV, but can't seem to find the article. Is this true?
    The reply went something like, "It depends on the quality of the TV, but that was a pretty good rule of thumb. With a very good quality TV, you can be a bit closer.
    Using this formula, if you are 8 feet away (96 inches) the TV can be anywhere from 40 inches to 55 inches.
    Hope this helps,
    Tony

7. richard_s_ca

richard_s_ca Auditioning

Thanks guys. It looks like it's unanimous -- bigger is better.

Due to space and budget limitations, I'll probably go for something in the 50" to 55" range. The two I'm thinking of are the Sony KP51HW40 and the Hitachi 53UWX10B. Can anyone offer plusses or minuses on either? Of course I'm looking for the best picture I can get (DVD and analog cable sources). Because I'm in a loft with tons of ambient light I need a very bright picture with a screen not too susceptible to glare. Audio isn't too important since I'll use my external receiver and speakers (Sony STR-DE875 receiver, Cerwin-Vega HT-S10A sub, Sound Dynamics CS-5000 satellites).

Thanks again for your help.

8. Michael Reuben

9. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

I would get about a 52 inch screen... but that is just me.

10. Dan Long

Dan Long Auditioning

I agree with Michael- light needs to be controlled. We recently bought a 62" Samsung. It was nice to be able to see what was going on in the backyard by looking at the screen! Our room has 4 large windows and double french doors that are floor to ceiling glass- it's a very bright room. The blinds on the windows didn't cut out enough light, and there were no blinds at all on the doors. We ended up putting verticals on the door, and adding thick curtains to the windows, which in conjunction with the blinds, blocks enough light to make it possible to watch TV without any glare. The problem will come in spring and summer when we want the windows open for air.

Dan

11. Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor Stunt Coordinator

I have a 65 HD with a progressive scan dvd playerupstairs and a 70 analog running on S-video downstairs. I had the 70 first and i thought it was just perfect, when i got the 65 the picture quality was just so much better, but all I watch upstairs are HD programming and DVD's the 70 is not widescreen so i go downstairs when i watch regular programming so i won't get that stretched screen. the good thing is I have custom black blinds and dark blue walls so it gets pretty dark in the place, even during the day. the point is, have the sofas about 10 to 12 feet from the 70 and at first it was pretty overwhelming but you get used to it. now, if i go over to a friends house, I can't get used to their TVs. I like boxing and its kewl to watch sports on such a large screen. [​IMG] my next screen size is going to be 13 feet with a DLP projector.
    Good Luck bro!

12. richard_s_ca

richard_s_ca Auditioning

I appreciate all the input. Unfortunately it's not what I wanted to hear.
    If what you all say is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), it looks like I'll have to put off my big screen purchase for the immediate future. Installing new blinds to darken the room just isn't a realistic option at this point. Since I have a wall of windows 20 ft. high by about 20 ft wide, it would end up costing me more to darken the room than to buy the screen.
    Damn!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Michael Reuben

Wow. That must be some view.

You could always get the set now but limit your viewing to nighttime. Just a thought.

M.

14. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Are there any other rooms in your place you could use for HT, besides the one with the immense wall of windows? That room obviously wasn't designed for watching TV, but for admiring a panoramic view out the windows.

Light control is critical for RPTV or FPTV. Once you have good enough light control to get the most out of RPTV, you are close to being ready for FPTV - and able to upgrade to HUGE screen sizes.

I personally recommend darkening the room and going with a good DLP or LCD projector. There are now XGA-resolution DLP and LCD projectors for about the same price as a good 55" HD-ready RPTV. The projectors are light, portable, and can produce a much bigger picture. I recommend going with one of these projectors if money and the room permit...

15. richard_s_ca

richard_s_ca Auditioning

Colin: Nope. The only "rooms" are 1 of the bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The rest is one big open space.

Michael: Yes. The view is great (downtown Toronto and Lake Ontario). Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to limit myself to looking out the window because a big screen TV doesn't seem to be an option (at least a rear-projection).

It looks like I'm back to a 36" Wega.