recommended receiver power

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ArnabC, Jul 8, 2004.

1. ArnabC

i can't seem to find the thread i'd started yesterday about possibly mixing and matching non-boston speakers with my boston vr940s to complete my speaker set-up. i hope i'm not in violation somehow but since i haven't heard from an admin about possible deletion of the thread i'm assuming some sort of tech glitch happened.

but thanks to all those who'd posted replies/suggestions to my initial question. i am watching an ebay auction for a pair of vrs pros. if the eventual price gets too close to the price of a brand new pair of cr55s or 65s (or if i can't win the auction) i'll probably opt to track those down somehow. so, now here's a new (related question):

on the boston site they say that the recommended amplifier power for the cr55s is 10-75 watts and for the 65s 15-100 watts. what does this mean? is it a bad idea to hook either of these up to a receiver with a higher rated output? also what does the frequency response mean? what should the range be for a pair of surround speakers?

thanks again!

2. Bob McElfresh

Hi Arnab. Welcome to HTF!

There is a lot of good, basic information on speakers, power, volume in our HTF Primer and FAQ (It is a little icon at the top of the Basics fourm.) Highly recommended.

I'll give you the short answer about trying to match speaker power and reciever power levels: dont worry about it. As long as you dont dial up the volume to insane levels, you should be fine.

Enjoy your stay.

3. Jack Briggs

Also, just run a search for your original thread. If you posted on a Friday afternoon, when it's pretty dead here, your thread just may have fallen off the main thread-listing page. In the future, do that instead of starting a new thread about the same topic. But since I'm too lazy to search for that thread, we'll let it pass. [​IMG]