Recommended Polk System Under $1700

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jamie*C, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Jamie*C

Jamie*C Auditioning

I need a polk audio system. Preferably 5 Speakers, 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center, and if necessary a sub. Which ones would you guys recommend? Also I will need a receiver. I thought up a system tell me what you guys think. 2 LSi9 Bookshelf Speakers, 2 LSiFX Surround Speakers, 1 LsiC Center Speaker, and if necessary a subwoofer (not sure which one). Thanks [​IMG]

2. Jamie*C

Jamie*C Auditioning

I need a polk audio system. Preferably 5 Speakers, 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center, and if necessary a sub. Which ones would you guys recommend? Also I will need a receiver. I thought up a system tell me what you guys think. 2 LSi9 Bookshelf Speakers, 2 LSiFX Surround Speakers, 1 LsiC Center Speaker, and if necessary a subwoofer (not sure which one). Thanks [​IMG]

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Great choice! I would add a sub to fill in the bottom end.

Make sure that whatever reveiver you are looking at can handle a 4 ohm load. a better option would be to use seperates to drive the Lsi's. Take a look at the Outlaw 950/770 combo at WWW.OutlawAudio.com. They make excellant equipment and the bang for the buck, well simply can't be beat.

4. Frank Zimkas

Great choice! I would add a sub to fill in the bottom end.

Make sure that whatever reveiver you are looking at can handle a 4 ohm load. a better option would be to use seperates to drive the Lsi's. Take a look at the Outlaw 950/770 combo at WWW.OutlawAudio.com. They make excellant equipment and the bang for the buck, well simply can't be beat.

5. Craig Thorn

Craig Thorn Extra

Maybe you could get the following
    Polk RTi6's (fronts)
    Polk RTi4's (surrounds)
    Polk CSi3 (center)

I think this comes to about $880 from circuit city. Leaves you enough to pick up a sweet HSU sub and the wiring.

The one you suggested sounds great but I thought that they may break your $1700 budget?

Oh and if you like bass, I think you could do better than a Polk sub. I have heard the Polk PSW505 and I didnt like it at all. The B&W 10" or 12" subs sound really really nice.

I havent actually heard the HSU or even the SVS subs but from what I have read, they sound really good.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Check out Club Polk at Polk Audio's website. Occasionally the LSi series gets sold at pretty decent prices.

I would stay with LSi vice the RTi series. And Frank speaks the truth - Outlaw is a good match for LSi, and you'll need a sub to fill out the bottom end.

Frank - I read you were replacing the Sunfire sub. Going with another Sunfire or with a different brand?

7. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

the rti series are no match for the lsi series... i just heard teh polks yesterday at tweeter - brought my axiom m22s for comparison... the rti's biggest problem is the sibilant tweeter. the lsi9, however, were pretty much the best bookshelfs i have heard so far... of any company.

i have yet to audition the paradigms ref 40s.

8. Frank Zimkas

Doc,
    I picked up a Sunfire TrueSubwoofer EQ. The EQ feature is fantasic!! Really smoothed out a nasty dip that I couldn't get rid of. Tried placement options out the wazoo and nothing helped. The new sub is a very dark rosewood with a beautifull high gloss finish. After selling my MKII and getting a stellar deal from a friend in the business, I ended up with a killer sub for a very small amount of money.

Tighter bass, smoother curve, attractive packaging. It was a no brainer.[​IMG]

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Good work Frank. Enjoy your TrueSubwoofer EQ! [​IMG] Maybe a quickie review at CP would be neat.